First Genesis 1000 restoration

Here's where it gets interesting for me. The tables that came on the grill were pretty well toasted. Z brackets were rusted through and barely hanging together, and the durawood slats were warped and dry rotted. The lid handle was actually in pretty good condition, so I set that aside and saved it for another project.

Decided to get the z brackets from RCP. The grates and flavorizers were extremely high quality and these are no different. There won't be any rust issues with these!

As far as the wood goes, I think I probably have something nobody else here does - teak deck wood salvaged from the USS Des Moines. I ended up with a few hundred board feet of this stuff and knew that's what needed to go on the grill. This stuff was VERY rough coming into the shop. 60-70 years old, life at sea, decades of gunk, leaded paint, adhesive, and years baking in the Texas sun waiting to be dismantled and scrapped. But after countless hours cleaning it up (with the appropriate PPE), there was some really beautiful wood under all that.

So I cut a bunch of slats down to size, planed down, corner rounded, and cut out a new lid handle while I was at it. Finished with Total Boat teak oil. More to see on the finished grill, but here's a teaser. I'm thrilled with how the wood turned out!
27977.jpeg20200405_113852.jpg20200405_113829.jpg20200405_113751.jpg

Yah, WOW. That was not only done in a professional manner, but the source of that wood is way cool. How much with shipping did the 4 Z bars cost you?

Please tell me you have a matching swing table for the grill.

Here's where it gets interesting for me. The tables that came on the grill were pretty well toasted. Z brackets were rusted through and barely hanging together, and the durawood slats were warped and dry rotted. The lid handle was actually in pretty good condition, so I set that aside and saved it for another project.

Decided to get the z brackets from RCP. The grates and flavorizers were extremely high quality and these are no different. There won't be any rust issues with these!

As far as the wood goes, I think I probably have something nobody else here does - teak deck wood salvaged from the USS Des Moines. I ended up with a few hundred board feet of this stuff and knew that's what needed to go on the grill. This stuff was VERY rough coming into the shop. 60-70 years old, life at sea, decades of gunk, leaded paint, adhesive, and years baking in the Texas sun waiting to be dismantled and scrapped. But after countless hours cleaning it up (with the appropriate PPE), there was some really beautiful wood under all that.

So I cut a bunch of slats down to size, planed down, corner rounded, and cut out a new lid handle while I was at it. Finished with Total Boat teak oil. More to see on the finished grill, but here's a teaser. I'm thrilled with how the wood turned out!
View attachment 3074View attachment 3075View attachment 3076View attachment 3077

Yep. I have RCs z bars on my Gen 2000. They are great quality for sure. That's a cool source for the wood and makes for a great grill side story.

That is some beautiful wood work! Very nicely done! That's going to last a lifetime.

I see a package of hamburger buns in the first picture. Can't wait to start cooking on that grill?

Gerry

Yah, WOW. That was not only done in a professional manner, but the source of that wood is way cool. How much with shipping did the 4 Z bars cost you?

Please tell me you have a matching swing table for the grill.
Sure do! I'll have some pics with the side table in the next set of pics. I ended up getting 7 z bars (2 on the side table, 1 for the swing, and 4 for the bottom tables) and it was $38. About $5.50 apiece. Shipping was grouped in with all the other stuff I bought. It was $28 to WA, which wasn't bad considering the weight of the package...

That is some beautiful wood work! Very nicely done! That's going to last a lifetime.

I see a package of hamburger buns in the first picture. Can't wait to start cooking on that grill?

Gerry
Thanks! It's been a fun project! Those hamburgers got cooked on one of the many charcoal grills stashed around the house ;). The genesis will get its turn soon.

Wow! Great story behind the wood and mad skills to turn it to finished slats! I went with the RCP z bars because I was converting the bottom wire grate to slats, but I forgot to order one for the flip table. Doh! I think the stainless z bars look great, especially with stainless hardware. Amazing work! I think you will have the nicest 1000 around when you're finished.

I use Rusto ultra HH on the end caps and on the frame around where the cook box is. I use Rusto 2X gloss black on the entire rest of the frame. There is a bit of a sheen difference, but it isn't very noticable since the cookbox hides most of it. The Rusto 2X gloss looks really nice on the frame and it is less expensive by half and goes on easier.
I use the flat black rusto high heat on the cook box. There is no "baking" with those paints. Just spray, let cure for a couple days and use the grill as normal. But, I always do a burn in for about 20 minutes or so, just to burn off any fumes.
Awesome! Thank you for the info Bruce!

Added some more new parts to the frame for the next step. New wheels, stainless axle, igniter, new tank scale (found a brand new one of the newer style, still fits the old Genesis!). I tore the manifold down and rebuilt the valves. They were in good shape but I gave them a good cleaning and some new grease. Put a squirrel guard on the gas hose. We don't really have a problem with those but it still looks cool. I also added the swing table back, looks pretty sharp!

Next step is testing the gas out and make we have flames with no leakage.
20200409_190457.jpg20200409_190535.jpg20200409_190712.jpg20200409_190904.jpg20200409_190645.jpg20200409_192552.jpg

What's with the slinky on the gas line?
It's supposed to help keep rodents and wildlife from chewing on your line. They can chew through one pretty quick when there's a little grease dripped on it. I don't expect too much issue but figured it looks cool and it was cheap, so if it saves me a new line it was worth it.

I have heard others complain about that issue but so far I have been lucky and have never had a rodent issue except inside my back garage/shed. Went to get my Honda tractor out this year and found acorn shells all over the battery. Thankfully no signs of chewing or nesting so I think they were only using it like a picnic table

I found on the ones out back behind my shed, they would make a nest in the drip pan, under the burners. I figure they didn't even have to leave the nest for a meal that way. If you stick a bounce dryer sheet in the drip pan or even the small aluminum collection tray, it will keep the critters our of your grill during the winter.

Very nice work, especially for your first restoration. You will get many years out of that grill. My 1998 Genesis 1000LX I bought new is still with me.
It's now a 2000 with an added right flip up. Great grill for being 22 years old, still looks and cooks like new.

I found on the ones out back behind my shed, they would make a nest in the drip pan, under the burners. I figure they didn't even have to leave the nest for a meal that way. If you stick a bounce dryer sheet in the drip pan or even the small aluminum collection tray, it will keep the critters our of your grill during the winter.
Had that problem with my motor home. Mice chewing on the wires under the hood. I was told they like those because the plastic insulation has vegetable oil in it.
Told to put dryer sheets inside and in the engine compartment, put two boxes of sheets in the motor home. Came back a week later and all the sheets were gone in the engine compartment. Started looking around opened up the air filter and the little monsters had stuffed them into the air cleaner and made a nice warm nest.

Very nice work, especially for your first restoration. You will get many years out of that grill. My 1998 Genesis 1000LX I bought new is still with me.
It's now a 2000 with an added right flip up. Great grill for being 22 years old, still looks and cooks like new.
Thanks! Poking around this forum and picking up tips and tricks from the many high quality restorations here has definitely made it easier. Can't wait to throw some steaks on it!

We have fire! No leakage either, which is always a plus. Made a little more progress and got a couple gratuitous shots of the RCP internals while they are still shiny. Check out that reflection in the underside of the lid! So close to cooking on it... My posts have caught up to real time now so I'll post any progress as I wrap it up.
20200409_190442.jpg20200411_170159.jpg20200418_124736.jpg20200418_124822.jpg

That grill is just about ready. May I suggest the elevated warming rack that Weber sells for one of their other models. It gives a bit more room for "utensil work" under the rack. Also leaves more room for the 4" thick steaks ..

Gerry

IMG_20200418_151102613.jpg

Back