First experience eating bbq

Tye R.

TVWBB Fan
Having grown up in Utah I really hadn’t experienced bbq until I was an adult. What most local people refer to as bbq is a really grilled food - burgers, brats etc.

I do business in several states and our employees in Georgia introduced me to Turners. Old building, plastic pig on the roof, lots of smoke coming out of the kitchen early in the morning as we drove in from the hotel. That lunch we stood in line for a good amount of time waiting to order. Pulled pork (with crispy skin bits) amazing sauce, home fries and a pickle and one slice of white bread. Totally foreign to me, but good eats! Since then I’ve enjoyed good bbq is several states and tried to recreate the food in my own cooks.

One of the things I like to do now when I travel is seek out those little hole in the wall bbq places. I have learned if there’s a line it’s likely to be good. I’ve had amazing food, horrible food and everything in between those extremes. Regional differences in bbq styles, flavors and food are interesting and to be honest I’ve enjoyed them all.

What most local people refer to as bbq is a really grilled food - burgers, brats etc.
I think that's a very common theme for many parts of the northern and western states...when I was growing up "barbecue" meant "coated with Open Pit". ;)
One of the things I like to do now when I travel is seek out those little hole in the wall bbq places.
Absolutely! Sometimes one turns up in a town where no one in his or her right mind would expect to find good food...but there it is.

Once you try your own there is no turning back, hook line and sinker!;)

It ruins eating bbq other places. You become quite a critic.

Im amazed how some chains can sell their food. Wife received a delivery from a nearby bbq place after surgery last year (coworkers had different place deliver food each day for several days). I gave the brisket to my dogs.....it was that poor.

Brother and me ate at a place in florida last year......smoke was noticeably missing....inside....outside.....don't know how they cooked.....but wasn't with a smoker pit.

Im amazed how some chains can sell their food. Wife received a delivery from a nearby bbq place after surgery last year (coworkers had different place deliver food each day for several days). I gave the brisket to my dogs.....it was that poor.

This is why I try to avoid chains, food is usually mediocre at best. The small ma and pa places are usually better. When I’m not on the road nothing beats home cooked 👍🏼

I'm generally in favor of avoiding chains and I like that the independents do things their own way, because I like to learn how other places' methods and recipes differ from my own.

Although for a long time, "home cooking" made me NOT want to eat somewhere. To be fair, my parents grew up in an era where meat had to be really thoroughly cooked for safety reasons and my brother and I never did get worms, but the last thing I ever wanted from a restaurant was something that reminded me of dinner at home.;)

I’m my experience the bread and pickle are often the weak link. I’ve had good bbq with stale or soggy bread and a generic pickle multiple times. There was one place in Georgia that had a warm thick piece of homemade bread with a homemade pickle that was really good 😊👍🏼

I’m my experience the bread and pickle are often the weak link. I’ve had good bbq with stale or soggy bread and a generic pickle multiple times. There was one place in Georgia that had a warm thick piece of homemade bread with a homemade pickle that was really good 😊👍🏼
Good bbq can be absolutely ruined with a kerosene cucumber!

Back