First ever grill, Weber Genesis Silver B, and need help restoring it!

RioAmmari

Hello! I’ve never owned a grill before and found a free Weber Genesis Silver B in black. It looks well taken care of for its age and came with what I think is the original protective cover, a tank of propane, some bbq utensils, and the manual. Overall, seems great and for free I can’t complain!

The grates are porcelain covered cast iron I believe. They have some rust and chipping. Are they salvageable or should I replace them? The flavorizer bars also have rust but still hold their shape. Wondering if they need to be replaced or not as well? It’s funny, I was reading your forums and saw that RCplanebuyer was recommended a lot. I found a seller on Craigslist in my area who sells the bars and grates and was planning on asking you all if they were good parts before realizing he was the same person you all recommend! Anyway, RCplanebuyer is only 20 minutes from me so I can purchase his products but if I don’t need to replace something, that’d also be great!

Another part I think is fine are the burner tubes. They don’t seem to have any holes in them other then what was manufactured. Let me know what you think!

As for the rest of the grill, I believe all it needs is a good cleaning. What products do you recommend? Should I put any parts in my oven and start an oven cleaning cycle? Should I take apart the grill? Should I paint the frame?

Lastly, I know this will probably be frowned upon but, I saw a YouTube video of someone painting their Weber grill hood red. I don’t particularly love the black and would really love to paint it forest green... I know it’s porcelain so should I just count my blessings and forget about trying to paint it? Or is it possible? I obviously don’t want to ruin it.

Thanks for any and all help!

Attachments

• 428AEB8B-95F2-4753-9CB9-C5B6C1928072.jpeg
    428AEB8B-95F2-4753-9CB9-C5B6C1928072.jpeg
    199.3 KB · Views: 70
  • E3855310-1614-4955-8E42-EE2F0133340A.jpeg
    E3855310-1614-4955-8E42-EE2F0133340A.jpeg
    248.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 03BD0C93-59F5-49B8-A32E-4B48083CA668.jpeg
    03BD0C93-59F5-49B8-A32E-4B48083CA668.jpeg
    246.1 KB · Views: 69
  • EBF4F84E-5F6A-457D-8448-C83FC286D5EB.jpeg
    EBF4F84E-5F6A-457D-8448-C83FC286D5EB.jpeg
    190.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 47918EE1-840F-4E70-B478-72FD627D4BA4.jpeg
    47918EE1-840F-4E70-B478-72FD627D4BA4.jpeg
    183.8 KB · Views: 59
  • A17652EF-B407-40DB-BCDA-A4CE44371981.jpeg
    A17652EF-B407-40DB-BCDA-A4CE44371981.jpeg
    280.2 KB · Views: 59
  • 91263B92-1D5D-4F50-92E9-CD618B8F3B74.jpeg
    91263B92-1D5D-4F50-92E9-CD618B8F3B74.jpeg
    301.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 591FD281-39B7-43A1-A08E-0EF20B740F8E.jpeg
    591FD281-39B7-43A1-A08E-0EF20B740F8E.jpeg
    257 KB · Views: 53
  • 2E878081-2549-476E-832A-9DCD45CE9248.jpeg
    2E878081-2549-476E-832A-9DCD45CE9248.jpeg
    250.4 KB · Views: 54
  • F18AEAD1-2C57-4181-B928-3715D1881F5E.jpeg
    F18AEAD1-2C57-4181-B928-3715D1881F5E.jpeg
    288.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 30E2856C-C87F-44BD-A69D-BCD2F30FB2C1.jpeg
    30E2856C-C87F-44BD-A69D-BCD2F30FB2C1.jpeg
    247.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 91063995-FE0A-4D5D-B408-B62C4745D9F1.jpeg
    91063995-FE0A-4D5D-B408-B62C4745D9F1.jpeg
    228.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 6C7B9ACD-390B-4E70-B61A-1ADB2D67DB7A.jpeg
    6C7B9ACD-390B-4E70-B61A-1ADB2D67DB7A.jpeg
    218.6 KB · Views: 59
Wow, that thing looks to be in pretty good condition for a free one. What you do depends on how much you want to spend. It's usable as is. Just give it a good cleaning and maybe replace the flaking porcelain enameled grates. That thing looks like it'll have lots of life left before it actually needs to be overhauled.

I wouldn't paint the porcelain hood. It'll never be as durable as the porcelain coating. Try cleaning it. The black looks quite good once it's clean and shiny.

I think according to the DT code in the serial number, it's a 2003 model.

Last edited:
All the advice and questions you need can be found with the search function. But here's a few responses to get you going.

1. Do not paint the lid under any circumstances. If you want a red or green lid, get one from a donor grill off of Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace. They are fairly easy to find and many many lids are easily interchanged.

2. To clean the plastic tables, handle and knobs, use 50/50 mix of bleach and water and 0000 steel wool. Works like magic.

3. For the inside and outside of the lid, use Simple Green, a single edge razor scraper and 0000 steel wool. Both sides are porcelain (basically glass) so the razor won't scrape it. But do not use a scrubby -- that will scratch it. The instrument panel gets Simple Green and 0000.

4. Flav bars can be used until they get holes or fall apart. I'm still using my original SS bars from 20 years ago. But new ones from RCP would look nice and last forever.

5. Just scrape the firebox with a putty knife and a wire brush. Nothing else needed.

6. If the burners work, they are fine -- just wire brush them. If they don't work, replacements are cheap/easy to get off Amazon.

7. Your grates are use-able but eventually you'll probably replace them. Jon has great posts summarizing the options for solid SS rod grates to use as replacements. You could also consider aluminum GrillGrates. Lots of posts on here describing the pros and cons of those.

You should get years and years out of that grill. My Silver B still going strong at age 20.

You got a great deal for a very good grill!. Right now you only need some cleaning supplies for the enamel surfaces, a wire brush, and a couple of putty knives (one metal & one plastic). Put a tank on and crank the burners up full for about 30 minutes. Then clean the inside of the lid with the plastic putty knife. Use the wire brush on the flavorizer bars, grates and after using the metal putty knife on the inside of the firebox. Enjoy your new grill. There is plenty of time down the road to decide what parts you want to replace. Other members can help you with where to look for rust on the frame so you can get ahead of any.

Pretty much what was said above. The porcelain grates I would definitely replace you don't want those chips getting in your food. Then wait for the other items to wear out and replace as needed.
Enjoy your new grill.

1. Do not paint the lid under any circumstances. If you want a red or green lid, get one from a donor grill off of Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace. They are fairly easy to find and many many lids are easily interchanged.

I agree on finding another lid from a donor grill. Are there any lids to avoid? That is, will a Genesis 1xxxx lid fit the Silver B or is it different?

I can't add anything to the above suggestions. you can find a ton of info on specific topics with a search. Also, be sure to check out the "HOW TO" section in the Sticky Thread Index at top of this forum.

Almost any 3 burner lid from 1985 to 2005 will fit that grill.

Is this the color of lid you are looking for? I have acquired quite a few of them in my area the last couple of years.

20190422 Silver A and Silver B Green Heads (3).JPG

Wow, that thing looks to be in pretty good condition for a free one. What you do depends on how much you want to spend. It's usable as is. Just give it a good cleaning and maybe replace the flaking porcelain enameled grates. That thing looks like it'll have lots of life left before it actually needs to be overhauled.

I wouldn't paint the porcelain hood. It'll never be as durable as the porcelain coating. Try cleaning it. The black looks quite good once it's clean and shiny.

I think according to the DT code in the serial number, it's a 2003 model.
Thank you!

All the advice and questions you need can be found with the search function. But here's a few responses to get you going.

2. To clean the plastic tables, handle and knobs, use 50/50 mix of bleach and water and 0000 steel wool. Works like magic.

3. For the inside and outside of the lid, use Simple Green, a single edge razor scraper and 0000 steel wool. Both sides are porcelain (basically glass) so the razor won't scrape it. But do not use a scrubby -- that will scratch it. The instrument panel gets Simple Green and 0000.

4. Flav bars can be used until they get holes or fall apart. I'm still using my original SS bars from 20 years ago. But new ones from RCP would look nice and last forever.

5. Just scrape the firebox with a putty knife and a wire brush. Nothing else needed.

6. If the burners work, they are fine -- just wire brush them. If they don't work, replacements are cheap/easy to get off Amazon.

7. Your grates are use-able but eventually you'll probably replace them. Jon has great posts summarizing the options for solid SS rod grates to use as replacements. You could also consider aluminum GrillGrates. Lots of posts on here describing the pros and cons of those.

You should get years and years out of that grill. My Silver B still going strong at age 20.
Thanks for this detailed response! I originally tried searching but was getting a bunch of comments as search results. I realize now that I can modify the search to just show full threads and have now found lots a great advice! I will start cleaning it up using yours and others advice and will post an update when I’ve finished restoring it. Thanks!

You got a great deal for a very good grill!. Right now you only need some cleaning supplies for the enamel surfaces, a wire brush, and a couple of putty knives (one metal & one plastic). Put a tank on and crank the burners up full for about 30 minutes. Then clean the inside of the lid with the plastic putty knife. Use the wire brush on the flavorizer bars, grates and after using the metal putty knife on the inside of the firebox. Enjoy your new grill. There is plenty of time down the road to decide what parts you want to replace. Other members can help you with where to look for rust on the frame so you can get ahead of any.
Thanks, I’m super stoked to get it cleaned up! Appreciate the advice

Pretty much what was said above. The porcelain grates I would definitely replace you don't want those chips getting in your food. Then wait for the other items to wear out and replace as needed.
Enjoy your new grill.
That makes sense, I’ll replace the grates then but will leave the bars. Thanks for the advice!

I can't add anything to the above suggestions. you can find a ton of info on specific topics with a search. Also, be sure to check out the "HOW TO" section in the Sticky Thread Index at top of this forum.

Almost any 3 burner lid from 1985 to 2005 will fit that grill.

Is this the color of lid you are looking for? I have acquired quite a few of them in my area the last couple of years.

View attachment 17029
Yeah I realize I wasn’t modifying the search results to show just full threads so I was getting a bunch of comments. I searched how to and have found a bunch of useful info from you and other users, thank you! And yes, that’s the color! It’s one of my favorite colors. I won’t paint the lid, but will keep an eye out for a replacement one

Yeah I realize I wasn’t modifying the search results to show just full threads so I was getting a bunch of comments. I searched how to and have found a bunch of useful info from you and other users, thank you! And yes, that’s the color! It’s one of my favorite colors. I won’t paint the lid, but will keep an eye out for a replacement one
Weberitis...and so it begins...

Weberitis...and so it begins...
Haha yeah. I honestly didn’t know anything about Weber grills but was researching the grills that I saw people giving away for free near me. None of them seemed that great but then I saw the Weber posted for free and googled it. Found this forum and saw how cool the restorations looked and all the great reviews on the quality. I love diy projects and things built to last so got really pumped to try and fix this one up. The person had it posted for I believe 2 days before I reached out so I feel lucky no one snagged it before me. I really want to change the shelves to wood but I feel like maybe that’ll be a bit out of my capabilities

You could find someone to make them for you. I know I cut a full set and sent them to another member a few years ago. BUt you might be able to find an wood working outfit that will do them custom for you for a decent price.

You could find someone to make them for you. I know I cut a full set and sent them to another member a few years ago. BUt you might be able to find an wood working outfit that will do them custom for you for a decent price.
What’s a ballpark of what they’d cost you think? I think I read in a different thread someone mention RCplanebuyer makes them? But could be confusing that with someone else

No, RCPlanebuyer makes SS flavorizer bars and SS cooking grates. He doesn't do wood.
The cost of the wood isn't that much and if someone might be able to do them up and send them to you for a pretty decent price. But, you could check around and see if there isn't someone that could do them up local to you. Some wood working shop.

Late to this party, but Welcome, RIo! CONGRATS on getting a great classic Weber grill to restore for an "unbeatable" price. Like others have said, you already have a great foundation, so what you do with it will depend on how much you want to spend and how much time you have to put into it. If you go with your "neighbor" Dave Santana - aka rcplanebuyer - you will be getting the very best. On the other hand, you can spend a good bit less and still get something decent.

Check out stuff on our board here. I am putting a link to my review from a year ago of a bunch of stainless rod grates - most all of which will fit your grill. Most important, HAVE FUN, and enjoy the process :cool: . You will have something you can feel good about rescuing and restoring yourself, and it will be WAY BETTER than the oceans of cheap import grills you see out front of the big box stores.

That is an excellent grill you found for restoring. They are easy to upgrade have readily available OEM and Aftermarket parts. "Happy Grillling!"

Yep you found a decent one there. Just a good cleaning, brush the burners clean with a stiff wire brush so all the holes are "opened up" and not corroded shut. Invest in some REALLY good grates. It's the single investment you will not regret. Contact Dave Santana through his ad on San Francisco (IIRC) Craigslist NOT through EBay as if you do it on Ebay (his handle there is RCPlanebuyer) he charges about 10% more due to Ebay commissions. Believe me here. Once you actually learn about cooking on that grill there won't be a day that goes by you'll regret that purchase. You can run with the flavo bars you have for awhile and when you need new, again, Dave is the go to guy for TRUE quality. Yeah they cost more than the Chinese crap on Amazon BUT, it's like so many things quality. When I first began trying to play guitar I struggled like nobody's business on a cheap guitar. Thinking "I'm just a beginner I'll learn on a cheapie" So I struggled with it to the point I was nearly discouraged. Then I picked up a quality instrument and suddenly I was making MUSIC. So I bought myself a Martin. Expensive? Yeah you bet. 45 years later I still have it! Investing in quality first is worth it!

Back