First ever grill, Weber Genesis Silver B, and need help restoring it!

Haha yeah. I honestly didn’t know anything about Weber grills but was researching the grills that I saw people giving away for free near me. None of them seemed that great but then I saw the Weber posted for free and googled it. Found this forum and saw how cool the restorations looked and all the great reviews on the quality. I love diy projects and things built to last so got really pumped to try and fix this one up. The person had it posted for I believe 2 days before I reached out so I feel lucky no one snagged it before me. I really want to change the shelves to wood but I feel like maybe that’ll be a bit out of my capabilities
Rio, since this is a Silver with the plastic side tables wooden replacements I don’t think are an option. The narrow slats on the older Genesis grills, which others I think are referring to, are not hard to fabricate. You would not have the proper mounting hardware for these wooden slats though. See image of a Genesis 3000 below I have waiting to be refurbished.
F709FF71-B655-4F56-8B85-D6BFFE100668.jpeg

You can put wooden slats trays on a Silver frame, but as Richard points out, you will need the “Z-bar” hardware and the slider arm and related parts. rcplanebuyer makes great stainless z-bars. The slider stuff you will have to search for. Sometimes people in this board have parts they are willing to sell. Otherwise you will have to hunt down a “donor” 1000 or similar older Genesis. Next thing you know you will have Weberitous🤣!

If you really want the wood and redhead, you'd be better off starting over with another grill from FBM or Craigslist. Since that would also give you the old school classic Weber deep firebox with the 13 (versus 5) flavorizer bars. Retro-fitting 3 tables, the under shelf and the handle to wood would be a big pain. And even then it would be a franken-grill rather than authentic.

Clean up the Silver B and cook on it. If you eventually get an older school red/wood grill, you can gift or sell the black Silver B easily.

Hey congrats on your new used Weber!!! Looks like you already got some great advice here. I will add some advice in a different category. Often times when a grill is free something is wrong with it and the home owner just gives up and rolls it to the curb. On this forum we all know that these Webers are very simple to repair and the parts are cheap. That said I want to caution you to check for gas leaks ( could be a bad regulator ) ....do the soapy water test and sniff around for that rotten egg smell when you open the gas valve. Also as mentioned here so many times....when you open the gas valve on the propane tank open it very slow for the first couple of turns for best results. When you ignite the grill I assume the starter will prob not work so if you use a match or a lighter please keep your face away from the grill and light it immediately do not let the gas accumulate. You said this was your first grill I believe so that why I am trying to caution you. Once you have started it a few times you will be a pro!
To add personality to your grill you can paint the kettle on your emblem red.......and you can add a pin stripe with the proper paint to the hood.

I know this thread is old but I am in a similar situation to the original poster of this thread and wanted to ask a couple questions, this group seems so knowledgeable!!
I just got a Genesis Silver b for free on Craigslist and am looking to refurbish it as well. I don’t know much and have found this thread to have great information. I do have one outstanding (and likely stupid) question though. When I looked up the serial number of the Weber I got it said it was a natural gas version. Now maybe not all Silver b’s are natural gas but I guess I wanted to check that to be sure because everyone here is saying to connect to propane and I didn’t know you could or should? Does this model come in an LP version as well or did you convert yours?
Thanks for any help with this as I begin.

Yes, the majority of Silver B grills were LP. On the label that has the serial number, it usually shows whether it was made as a NG or LP grill. It could have been converted either at the time of sale by the store or by a previous owner.

Does you grill have a hose with a regulator and a connector for an LP tank? Does it have the tank gauge for hanging an LP tank on the left side? Post up a photo of the grill and the data sticker if you can.

Silver B came in both versions -- LP and NG. If it has a right side hook, right side weight scale, and a short hose with a big screw on plastic knob, then its an LP (or at least started as LP).

NG has no hook, no scale, long hose. Pictures below.

Some people would DIY convert from one fuel to the other, but not many. That is strongly discouraged. If yours is an OEM NG model, you are all good.

One great thing about these grills is that replacement parts are still readily available. You can buy parts new from Weber or other vendors, or scavenger parts from readily available donor grills. So if the frame and cookbox are in good shape, you should be able to keep it going for a long time. Years longer than most grills you could buy new today.

Last edited:
Silver B came in both versions -- LP and NG. If it has a right side hook, right side weight scale, and a short hose with a big screw on plastic knob, then its an LP (or at least started as LP).

NG has no hook, no scale, long hose. Pictures below.

Some people would DIY convert from one fuel to the other, but not many. That is strongly discouraged. If yours is an OEM NG model, you are all good.

One great thing about these grills is that replacement parts are still readily available. You can buy parts new from Weber or other vendors, or scavenger parts from readily available donor grills. So if the frame and cookbox are in good shape, you should be able to keep it going for a long time. Years longer than most grills you could buy new today.

Thanks to both of you for the quic...hed photos below. Thanks again for the help.

Attachments

• IMG_7956.jpeg
    IMG_7956.jpeg
    250.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7957.jpeg
    IMG_7957.jpeg
    225.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7959.jpeg
    IMG_7959.jpeg
    251.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7960.jpeg
    IMG_7960.jpeg
    120.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7961.jpeg
    IMG_7961.jpeg
    268 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7962.jpeg
    IMG_7962.jpeg
    234.9 KB · Views: 13
I think my previous message got clipped…..Thanks to both of you for the quick replies, I appreciate it! From what I can tell this is an original NG version and indicates that on the sticker as well.
Any experience with that version? Anything to watch out for? I haven’t really checked it out thoroughly to see what all may need to be replaced but I have attached photos below. Thanks again for the help.

I think my previous message got clipped…..Thanks to both of you for the quick replies, I appreciate it! From what I can tell this is an original NG version and indicates that on the sticker as well.
Any experience with that version? Anything to watch out for? I haven’t really checked it out thoroughly to see what all may need to be replaced but I have attached photos below. Thanks again for the help.
It looks solid. 2003 silver B natural gas.

I would hook it up and get it running, burn off anything inside.

If it is working well, I would probably buy new grates.

Otherwise just roll with it

Yah, that grill was born as NG and still is NG. As long as you hook it up to a properly regulated NG outlet, it should run fine.

As long as your home has regulated NG supply (typically 6" to 8" WC) you should be good to go. Just grab a NG hose and hook it up

Thanks everyone, appreciate the replies!

I am buying a house that has a gas line split from a previous outdoor grill so that line might need some maintenance but I’m hoping to hook this up there.

I was thinking I would need to replace the grill’s gas line just in case but it sounds like I should just test it first and then make some updates.

I may be back with questions as I move along but thanks again!

Yah, well don't be a stranger. We have plenty more advice to give out. Some of it has absolutely nothing to do with grills either. But it is always free and comes with a disclaimer that we are not experts and accept no responsibility for the advice we provide. ;)

Back