First ever cook- Hot and Fast Chicken

AmberB

Hey y'all! My WSM came in yesterday. It was pretty late when I got off work but I couldn't wait to try it out. So, I tried the Hot and Fast Chicken recipe by Chris Allingham and it was juicy, perfectly cooked, and even had a skin that was pretty crispy and flavorful. This was the very first time I've ever grilled/smoked and I was so impressed! We will absolutely make this again.

I got so into getting everything set up and done that I forgot pictures. It was only after we tore into it like ravenous animals that I remembered.

My family is begging for brisket, and although I know I should save that for when I'm a little more experienced, I am still gonna give her a shot tomorrow. 😅 I'll be prepping today for an overnight sit and starting it tomorrow. Have a great week!! ✌️💚

Attachments

• IMG_20230327_222630014.jpg
    IMG_20230327_222630014.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20230327_222616447_MF_PORTRAIT.jpg
    IMG_20230327_222616447_MF_PORTRAIT.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 24
Looking good!

Hot and Fast chicken was my first cook on my WSM (14.5) too.

Despite having tried many methods to cook chicken, my family seems to still like Hot and Fast chicken best - with a variety of seasoning methods.

Looks like a great first run! Run a pork butt for a long cook and let it build up some “sealing” around the door, brisket next week! Or just dive in, “No guts, no glory!”😉
I read this a little too late. I already prepped it LOL. Had I of read this juuuust a bit earlier, I would have probably heeded your warning. I'm a glutton for punishment anyways.

The hubs is not a pork eater. Which is fine with me, I'll take his portions 😂. I plan on doing some pork this weekend and then I'll give the brisket another shot.

Looking good!

Hot and Fast chicken was my first cook on my WSM (14.5) too.

Despite having tried many methods to cook chicken, my family seems to still like Hot and Fast chicken best - with a variety of seasoning methods.
I was so surprised at how good and easy it was. Thanks for letting me know that was the favorite way over all. I'll just try to master this method before trying another one. My knife skills on halfing a chicken fo sho could use some extra practice. 😅

Congrats on your first cook, I beleive I learn something new from every cook, wind,outside temps, different types of charcoal. That is what makes this style of cooking fun and challenging.
Enjoy the process,and keep the photos coming.

I was so surprised at how good and easy it was. Thanks for letting me know that was the favorite way over all. I'll just try to master this method before trying another one. My knife skills on halfing a chicken fo sho could use some extra practice. 😅
I’ve just thrown the whole bird on the top grate. It’s done when the breast reaches a temp of 165 F. The thighs can safely hit 195 F. Looks nice coming out of the cooker when entertaining.

My family has also just done chicken parts on the top grate, and I just temp each part individually.

If your WSM isn’t sealing well yet, you can also get brisket to the table faster using this method from Chris: https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/brisket-high-heat/

Just embrace the extra air flow and let the cooker heat up! 😂

It definitely isn’t traditional low and slow brisket, but the finished product is still delicious.

Amber, would you mind bumping up the recipe you used?
It’s Chris Allingham’s from the site Joan, check poultry recipes.

Amber, like I said, “No Guts, No Glory!“ Diving into the deep end will be good for you! I was less ”Brave” I think I took a couple of months getting used to things before I did a brisket. One important thing I find helpful is plan a LONG rest on the back end, I like three or four hours for a 14-16 lb. brisket to rest double wrapped in foil and towels in a cooler while you get everything else ready. Resist the urge to lop off a nice big slice until it’s rested!
Are you doing this tonight/tomorrow? Or over the weekend? Let us see the process, weight, etc.

Thanks Dan, you made it much easier! I’m seriously, pathologically, lazy. I KNOW full well it was under “Hot & Fast Chicken” but, I am far more inclined to have someone kind and generous do the attachment. I will plead ”digital/electron” ineptitude as well as the afore mentioned sorry butted laziness!
However, I also suffer from Weberitis which can be debilitating in itself.

Last edited:
Go for the High Hot brisket next. 350°F Salt and pepper. 2.5 hrs indirect. 2.5 hrs wrapped in foil. Perfect every time. You’ll love it.

To the best of my knowledge, it is not on the poultry site. If anyone finds it, please let me know. I may have missed it.

Back