First Brisket on the 14.5!

Dwayne M

TVWBB Member
Finally decided it was time to try a Brisket on the 14.5 (my first time ever on a brisket period)
was tricky finding one but after searching on the net i found my best bet was to go to a store in san jose called cash and carry (its basically a restaurant supply store but doesn't require a biz license etc.) and sure enough they had full packers for 2.69/Lb! so i grabbed the smallest i could find at 10.5 lbs

2016-04-16_zps25rfvotg.jpg

trimmed some of the major fat off but left most on and applied rub.

IMG_20160416_092218554_HDR_zpsqyz6vh02.jpg

saw this method on the net for our small cookers and it worked well using a rib rack stood upright to "drape" it over it and make it fit into the tiny cooker

IMG_20160416_133728080_zpstofurwsz.jpg

about 4 or so hours in, looking really good fat is rendering nicely.

IMG_20160416_155339352_HDR_zps9s1m07im.jpg

6.5 hours in most fat rendered and had to flip it one side was getting really tender and hot and the other side was lagging behind.

IMG_20160416_175036539_zpsmw8bhabi.jpg

pulled at about 9 hours in, internal temp in most areas i measured was at 204-206 F. I had passed out so maybe slightly overshot cooking it but it smells excellent and no matter where i stick my temp probe it goes in nice a smoothly so it definitely done!

its now in the fridge cooling and resting for the next hour or so before we slice it up and have dinner! :smilekettle:

Ah yeah sorry been a busy weekend! the bark got overdone, pretty sure main reason for this was where i chose to stick my pit temp sensor (was basically directly under the meat and right above the water pan) so i'm pretty sure i was running hotter than i had wanted at 275, also the fact that there isn't enough room to lay it flat inside the cooker it didn't seem like a good idea to try and foil it half way through, besides the tough outer layer though the meat was excellent and very juicy and flavorful! the thing shed so much fat it had my empty water pan nearly half full! I can't get on to photobucket to upload pictures at work will post a few when i get home though :)

IMG_20160416_194147671_zpstvxdmz4k.jpg

slices were pretty thick and rough because i need to get myself a good long slicing knife and because the bark was so tough that didn't help at all either lol. Was a good first attempt and now i know what adjustments i need to make next time I take one on :)

Back