First attempt at Sausage Making

Dustin Dorsey

TVWBB Hall of Fame
First attempt at Sausage Making

I bought some top round that was on sale and used some brisket fat I save to make some beef sausage.

Cut up meat, I think before I added the fat.

I used the kitchenaid grinder attachment and stuffer attachment to make the sausage.

Meat ground up and getting a casing ready.

Did ok for a first try.

Threw one on the kettle indirect low and slow with some oak.

Sausage getting some nice color.

After the cook.

A cross section

All in all it turned out pretty good. I kept it simple with salt, pepper, cayenne and paprika. I probably needed more fat. I made a really stupid math mistake and weighed the meat, then took 20% of that and added it to the meat rather than make the fat 20% of the whole. This is really sad considering I have an engineering degree. It was a matter of 250g of fat vs. 300g but still stupid. The sausage tasted great though. Next time I may go closer to 30% and cook it slower. I also did equal mass of salt and pepper vs equal volume. Its just below being too spicy. Next time I'll probably add some pork and get more adventurous on my seasoning.

Dustin, looks great for the first time. I made Brats and like you, was a little light on the fat, but the neat thing is, I can eat my mistakes and correct for next time!

Dustin,

Looks like you did great with the process, those links look darned near perfect to me! The consistency of your sausage looks great, too. If you weren't happy with the formulation (fat ratio, seasonings, etc.), then you are in a great spot, as I always thought those things were easier to tweak than the grind/mix/grind/stuff process!! :) For your first attempt, sir, you get a well-deserved 'A'!!

Rich

Outstanding job Dustin. Looks fantastic. Don't beat yourself up over the mixture. We all do similar things in the "heat of battle".

Back