First Attempt at Bacon

Jerome D.

TVWBB All-Star
I finally got around to attempt making my own bacon, using the recipe from Steven Raichlen's Project Smoke. I started off with just a small slab of pork belly, not wanting to put a big piece at risk on my first try. After curing for 5 days, the pork belly was rinsed off, then allowed to dry uncovered in the fridge overnight. After smoking the bacon with pecan wood until an internal temperature of 150°F, I allowed it to cool, fried a few test slices, then sliced up the rest of the pork belly. It was a bit on the salty side, but overall not bad for my first attempt, as it still tasted better than conventional store-bought bacon. Thanks for stopping by!

That looks good J. Well done mate.

Gonna try making my own bacon, but I will try and hold off on too much salt.

That is some great bacon and believe me you won't want to buy store bacon again.

Nice looking bacon Jerome. I have to watch my salt intake so I cold water rinse mine after the cure and then soak it three times for twenty minutes before I put on whatever I'm going to smoke it with and it comes out with just a slight saltiness. Might want give it a try.

That looks great Jerome. I really want to try making bacon, still a little intimidated, seeing your results might just push me over the top.

Back