First attempt at a high heat brisket.

S.Six

TVWBB All-Star
Did a brisket for Super Bowl Sunday last weekend and wanted to try the high heat method. This brisket was just shy of 16lbs untrimmed. I probably trimmed 2-3lbs off.

Rubbed some yellow mustard on it and McCormick's Montreal Steak seasoning, and Mesquite for smoke. Water pan removed, temp averaged 325°. Started fat side down. I gave it a flip at around 130°IT

Here it is at 160°IT. I'm at about 2.5hrs. Foiled it up and back on the wsm. Just over 2hrs more it was at 200°IT for a total cook time of 4hrs 42mins!

This wasn't a small brisket and done in less then 5hrs is awesome! It was perfectly tender, it didn't fall apart on me as i cut thin 1/8" slices. Good smoke ring too. The best part was it was SO easy! Brisket can be intimidating, but this was a no brainer.
Thanks for looking, see you next cook!

I always recommend the high heat method for all the pros you mentioned. Well done!
The only con was due to having to keep it in the foil for a few more hours the bark was wet and was rubbing off. But i suppose there are ways around that too.

Nice looking brisket. I don't do it often, but when I do, a full packer, high heat is the way to go.

That brisket looks great. Moist and tender. Not crumble at all. Do you vent it to stop carry over effect? Or you didn't and final IT was more or less 205/207F?

The only con was due to having to keep it in the foil for a few more hours the bark was wet and was rubbing off. But i suppose there are ways around that too.

Unfoil about 15 minutes before you would normally take it off and firm it back up. With the hot fire on high heat cooks, it doesn't take too long.

That looks great! Still haven't tried a brisket, just seems like so much for two people. But now that we have a food saver we could freeze a lot of it and it will stay fresh, hmmm. Got to talk to Barb!

That brisket looks great. Moist and tender. Not crumble at all. Do you vent it to stop carry over effect? Or you didn't and final IT was more or less 205/207F?
I left it foiled on the counter for about a half hour then put it in a cooler to hold it till the party.

Nice looking brisket. I would expect it to be dry because of the heat but it is obviously juicy. Great smoke ring too. You have convinced me to give it a try. My next brisket will be a high heat job...

Regards,

John

its nice to know that you can cook a good sized brisket in 5 hours. that kind of time window appeals to me far more than a 16 hour cook. great looking brisket. thanks for sharing.

Back