Firing up the WSM with a propane torch & first smoke game-plan tips/suggestions.

I did the torch through the vent hole method for a while, now I just use one weber starter cube under the weber charcoal chimney for all my smokers. A new wsm will run hot most of time till it gets a layer on the walls...I use only one vent(if temp gets up too high) and close the other two and keep the top vent fully open all the time. Water in the pan can help regulate temps but personally I hate it, I run the pan empty covered in foil or you could put fire brick in the pan.

Mine is thoroughly broke in and will run 250-280 with hardly any tinkering

you can run at 225 if you want, personally I think 250+ is better and less work for me

I was curious and went searching for the thread:

Rick, you are not a newbie. Just smoke the he'll out of that meat and let us know how it turns out. Oh, and have a beer on me! :LOL:
That's the plan, Man! I sure feel like one with all of these questions 😉

I'm all about trial and error but, it would be foolish not to tap into all of this knowledge.

I rarely drink beer anymore, but will happily tip back a glass of whiskey 🥃

That's the plan, Man! I sure feel like one with all of these questions 😉

I'm all about trial and error but, it would be foolish not to tap into all of this knowledge.

I rarely drink beer anymore, but will happily tip back a glass of whiskey 🥃
Makers 46 please.

Or a tiny splash of water....it's only 110.4 proof. 😉
There are a lot of barrel-proofers out there where I would definitely be on board for that one cube. While we're on the subject, one of the best one's out there, (especially for the $$...just South of $70.00), that no one seems to talk about, is Jack Daniel's Single Barrel barrel proof. An ice cube in that, (one of those big ones), opens it up like nobody's business but, that's a topic for another thread. (I'm a whiskey geek, in case you couldn't tell)

Sorry....I digressed.....to keep it OT, I've decided what to break her in with on Sunday. I snagged an 8.5lb butt, for $0.99lb this morning.
I can't wait!

I have a mammoth almost 12 pound butt going on either late tonight or early in the morning. If I wait until morning I might go a little hotter and see how it goes. I’m undecided on when to start, actually even while I’m writing this I think tonight might be wise, this thing is huge!

I have a mammoth almost 12 pound butt going on either late tonight or early in the morning. If I wait until morning I might go a little hotter and see how it goes. I’m undecided on when to start, actually even while I’m writing this I think tonight might be wise, this thing is huge!
How did you make out with Hogzilla?

Back