Fire Roasted Wings for friends 40th birthday

I burn Oak for my roasted cooks.

I soak the wings for several days in Buffalo Wing Sauce (used to be Franks, but Sweet Baby Ray's is the new rage) I doctor the soak as follows:

1/2 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce

I sprinkle my "rub" on them while they're cooking. My rub:

1 Teaspoon Seasoned Salt
1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
1 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
1 Teaspoon Sweet Paprika

When I make the rub, I make a full shaker full, which is about 10 times everything listed

I sprinkle a couple times during the cook, everyone is offered dipping sauce but nobody dips them and some actually sprinkle on more rub

Thanks everyone for the kind words

That rub sounds good too - SPOG + cayenne & paprika -

Even though his birthday was catered, he requested my wings. I was happy to do so. They lasted minutes, barely

D52DEB83-D59B-41B7-AB31-276BF475158F_zps3xacozig.jpg

7F1E16F9-55F5-43A5-BBF6-D55D90157746_zps8btmjeiw.jpg

FBB03BDD-E1C9-4773-9EC0-C00B7E91DE45_zpsdujvvrto.jpg

4FB3EE43-5432-4D00-9A06-14BD6D87AE45_zpshyzoqrm0.jpg

48B731AE-3367-44A3-9DD9-C2DC36DF0563_zpsqcsyzjxn.jpg

7EF37B4E-85AB-4E78-BE73-A63133397F67_zps9mfmmh12.jpg

7F29C9B0-B2B4-4F5B-A9A5-902B53CFF9DC_zpsrtvxcbps.jpg

58F9F863-CA96-484D-9810-32175C83FD03_zpsomrsrdby.jpg

398E2F70-E5A9-4377-9985-BD6A53F9FB11_zpspecquq74.jpg
Bumping this one. Killer, Chuck.

How did it ruin it for smoking?
It weakened the barrel something fierce. I had it so hot that the barrel expanded and the lid sank about 1/4" into the barrel and that was fun to separate. The daisy vents are frozen solid (wide open) I know I could drill the rivets, but the daisys are pretty soft, similar to the barrel. I have the 22" (which is actually what I wanted when given the 18") so I'm not upset that the 18" has a new life as a high-heat "oven."

Here's a few trips down memory lane

For the life of me I have no idea why I come here daily while at work...I don't do breakfast.....I bring a small " healthy " lunch.....
All I do is ogle everyone's delicious food and try to improve my mid week meals which in general are not nearly as awesome as any of the pictures.
I am constantly starving for things like Chuck's wings......from the OP....man they look good......
Also the grill only comes out once or twice while I am working............first world problems I tell you.

Last edited:
For the life of me I have no idea why I come here daily while at work...I don't do breakfast.....I bring a small " healthy " lunch.....
All I do is ogle everyone's delicious food and try to improve my med week meals which in general are not nearly as awesome as any of the pictures.
I am constantly starving for things like Chuck's wings......from the OP....man they look good......
Also the grill only comes out once or twice while I am working............first world problems I tell you.
Darryl, you sound like me. I AM ADDICTED. First thing EVERY morning, here I am. And here I sit all day long in my wheelchair. That is why I am bugging you guys so much. Can't find any place BETTER to be. Poor DH has to do all the cooking and all the housework while I sit here trying to find recipes that all of us will want to eat.

Chuck, those pies look outrageous. Is that a discada on top?
It's a iron plow disc with handles welded on, if that counts as a Discada, then yes sir. I first tried using a kettle lid, and then I started using Stainless Steel Comal but when I used the plow disc, I got the results I was looking for. I just recently acquired some 00 Flour, so some pizzas are in the near future

It's a iron plow disc with handles welded on, if that counts as a Discada, then yes sir. I first tried using a kettle lid, and then I started using Stainless Steel Comal but when I used the plow disc, I got the results I was looking for. I just recently acquired some 00 Flour, so some pizzas are in the near future
That's a really smart idea. You absolutely nailed them...
I'm looking forward to seeing more pizza. What's your delivery range? 🤔

All I do is ogle everyone's delicious food and try to improve my mid week meals which in general are not nearly as awesome as any of the pictures.
Lol. This entire board is filled with nothing but fink-faced, low-down enablers. 🤣🤣

Makes us better cooks.

Back