Finally smoked my first brisket

Matt H

TVWBB Fan
I've had my WSM for years, but never cooked a brisket. I guess I've always been intimidated by such an expensive piece of meat. Being in Jersey, I can't find cheap brisket anywhere.

Finally pulled the trigger and picked up a 13 pounder for $3.99/lb at the Restaurant Depot. It was a CAB brisket so I felt that was a decent price.

Rubbed with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and smoked paprika. Got her on the cooker at 9 am. Smoked over wine barrel oak.
Brisket 1 by Matthew Heney, on Flickr
Brisket 2 by Matthew Heney, on Flickr

My plugged in PartyQ doing what it does best. Kept the temp at 250 the whole cook.

Wrapped in butcher paper at 170, and hit 204 around 8p.m. Let it rest for about an hour and a half before slicing.
Brisket 3 by Matthew Heney, on Flickr
Brisket 4 by Matthew Heney, on Flickr

Not to toot my own horn, but it was one of the better briskets I've had compared to any bbq joint I've been to. I had a blast cooking it and the results were waaay better than I could have expected. I'll definitely be doing this again, and soon!

Thanks for lookin at my cookin.

Last edited:
Great looking cook. You can toot your own horn all the live long day. It is sort of a let down when you go out to eat and nothing quite compares to your own cooks.

I always admire a dark bark like you have, not been able to get mine that dark yet. Going to try something new on my next cook to see if I can achieve that.

Good looking pics.

Matt it is so exciting that your first brisket turned out so well. I suffer the same problem of expensive brisket prices. But the juiciness of the meat and the beautiful bark you got made the price worth every cent. Great job!

Go ahead and toit that horn Mat check out that smoke ring, dang those sliced pieces sureally look good to me.
I am in.

Honk Honk, toot that horn Matt you deserve it, that looks like the perfect brisket on your first try....Outstanding!

That brisket is a thing of beauty, nice smoke ring.
I have yet to smoke a brisket...maybe someday.

WOW!!! That is outstanding and the bark and smoke ring spot on. You can toot that horn anytime with a cook like that.

Back