Favorite grilled appetizers?

anders

TVWBB Fan
I'm hosting a gathering soon, and while the main course will be ribs, I'm looking for some grilled appetizer ideas to serve while the ribs are getting ready.

ABTs, shrimp skewers, chicken wings, what else? What are your favorites, including vegan (yes...) ones?

Bacon wrapped tater tots for a change from the usual. Get the recipe in the appetizer section of this forum. Not sure you have tater tots in the Netherlands but anything similar would be fine. You can wrap peppers or pickles etc in these along with spicing them up with your favorite rub. My family Always enjoys them!

Pig wings!
Bacon wrapped bite sized pieces of pork tenderloin. I don’t sauce them but, you certainly could.
Shrimp is another good one.
Bacon wrapped tater tots with sliced jalapeños is a big favorite with my family too.

Another bacon wrapped appetizer. From the other meat thread. Not for the grill tho. Sorry. Do they have Spam there?

Bacon-Wrapped Spam Bites
(makes 32 pieces)

18 bacon strips
1 can (12 oz.) reduced-sodium SPAM, cut into 32 cubes
1/3 cup yellow mustard
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 garlic clove, minced

Preheat oven to 400F. Cut bacon strips crosswise in half. In a skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until partially cooked but not crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain; keep warm.

Wrap a bacon piece around each Spam cube; secure with a toothpick. Place in a 15x10x1 inch baking pan. Bake for 10 minutes. Combine mustard, syrup and garlic, drizzle over Spam. Bake until bacon is crisp, 5-10 minutes longer.

Source: Taste of Home mag. Apr/May 2019

Stuffed mushrooms:

I'll chime in on the Vegan... My wife was vegetarian for a while and we have one Vegan friend. So I've done up some apps. I'm sure you know but some vegans don't even want their food prepped on anything that meat has touched. If that's the case tell them to byov!

Here's a few things that I have made in the past.

Stuffed peppers (jalapeno, mini bells, whatever) or stuffed mushrooms with vegan cheese, quinoa, soyrizo (note on soyrizo it really has good chorizo flavor, but does not hold a sausage shape so its best to use it as a filling.)
Grilled Zucchini of stuffed zucchini boats. Soyrizo is good in this one too.
Mini-smashed taters
Buffalo Cauliflower (this one is tasty even for meat lovers)
Roasted pepper salsa on grilled polenta crackers
Grilled corn zucchini fritters
Grilled falafel which could be used to make sliders (again may need vegan bread)
Phyllo cups (you can find in freezer section) make a good vessel for all kinds of things (even meat) then grill them up
Grilled marinated tofu skewers

One last thing jack fruit pulled pork. There are several recipes out there, and I have to say its pretty tasty. Could be a main or make sliders etc as a side.

Thanks all! I do spot a bit of a bacon theme. :D

@CaseT, Buffalo Cauliflower is a new one for me, might try that as well later on!

Of course, if the quantity is large enough any grilled appetizer easily becomes a grilled main course. Don't tease me with just a few shrimp, give me enough to completely fill my entire digestive tract. ;)

2 items we do as apps
Shrimp. I get a bunch of the 16-20 per lb shrimp cleaned and devained and marinate in italian dressing, or lime and garlic then cook with one of my mesh pans over the grill. cooks up quick and people like it.

Kilbasi- we have a Polish store by us that makes them and they're great. huge and fresh. I cook and char them a bit on the grill

Back