Farewell cook on Ranch Kettle #2.

DaveW

TVWBB Wizard
Small little get together, was expecting about 15 people or so.

IMG_20160917_181336.jpg

12 1/2lb angus chuck burgers
10 Johnsonville brats
6 chicken breasts halved (12 pieces)
10 ears of corn
some green stuff my brother handed me and said "will you grill this too??"

The occasion was my brother's 12th wedding anniversary. He has been interested in a RK for quite some time, and he's had some fun cooking on mine. I decided that I could probably live with just having 1 RK, so being the nice guy that I am, I gave him a set of extra long tongs, an extra long spatula, a box of Weber igniter cubes, a Weber Chimney and a twin pack of 18.6 lb bags of Kingsford.

I gave his wife the RK:p:p:p

Dave, that was a very nice thing you did. The food looks great, even the "green things". Congrats to your brother and SIL on their 12th.

Thanks guys. Truth be told, it wasn't that generous a gift as 1), I picked that RK up for about $210 at an auction, and 2). even after giving it to them, I still have RK #1 on my patio. Also doesn't hurt that if I needed 2 RKs for another cook, they live 5 mins away :D

You had two RK's?? Wow, you must feed half the state. Looks awesome Dave. Festive and delicious looking cook. Very generous gift. Bet they were thrilled.

Very thoughtful gift Dave. Those RK's sure have some real estate on the grates.

You had two RK's?? Wow, you must feed half the state. Looks awesome Dave. Festive and delicious looking cook. Very generous gift. Bet they were thrilled.

Enjoy that delicious bunch of meat with your family Dave.

Very thoughtful gift Dave. Those RK's sure have some real estate on the grates.

Yeah, I had two of them until yesterday. I picked the first one up earlier this year off of CL. It was brand spanking new and i was lucky enough to snag it for $350 iirc. I fell into the 2nd one a couple of months later. Was browsing through an online auction site and there it was. Two days left on the auction and the high bid was less than $10. So, I threw a max bid on it and ended up winning it for $200 +tax and auction fees. Had no idea what I was going to do with it, but for $200ish, I didn't care.

Here's a pic from my Memorial Day get together using both RKs and my Mini RK as well

IMG_20160530_150723.jpg

Talk about an abundance of real estate :D;)

That is an impressive collection. First time I have seen an RK close up.

Thanks. The RK is a wonder to behold. I mean, it's so versatile. 2 different heat zones on a 22 ? I can have 4 or more different zones on a RK. It's like it's own little climate. Take the cook above for example. I dumped a whole chimney along the right hand side and spread the coals out in a single layer to cook the corn. Later, I spread some unlit coals out on the left side of the RK and then dumped a whole chimney on that side. Instead of spreading in a single layer, I partially banked the coals so that I had a band 2 coals tall, then another band that was a single layer kind of spread out. Chicken started going down first on the hottest part of the left side. They then moved across the grill in stages freeing up space to direct grill the brats, then the burgers. As the coals on the right burnt down, I moved the brats over there to finish. The center line of the RK didn't have any coals, so that's where things were parked to hold while the rest finished. temps also cooled a bit along the left rim probably due to curvature of the lower bowl.

Wow. That was a hugely thoughtful gift, Dave! Seeing all those things grilling away for family and friends is a bright spot in my day.

Yes, it is a perfect example of how to use real estate to its best advantage. I don't often need one but, there have been times when one multi level grill would have made or, would make a large cook much more convenient!

Dave you are a good brother even though he only lives 5 minutes away I liked that part.
still close enough for help and pointers.
cool

Thanks. The RK is a wonder to behold. I mean, it's so versatile. 2 different heat zones on a 22 ? I can have 4 or more different zones on a RK. It's like it's own little climate. Take the cook above for example. I dumped a whole chimney along the right hand side and spread the coals out in a single layer to cook the corn. Later, I spread some unlit coals out on the left side of the RK and then dumped a whole chimney on that side. Instead of spreading in a single layer, I partially banked the coals so that I had a band 2 coals tall, then another band that was a single layer kind of spread out. Chicken started going down first on the hottest part of the left side. They then moved across the grill in stages freeing up space to direct grill the brats, then the burgers. As the coals on the right burnt down, I moved the brats over there to finish. The center line of the RK didn't have any coals, so that's where things were parked to hold while the rest finished. temps also cooled a bit along the left rim probably due to curvature of the lower bowl.

If I had that many zones to control I would have to keep off the beer until the cooking is finished.

Wow. That was a hugely thoughtful gift, Dave! Seeing all those things grilling away for family and friends is a bright spot in my day.

Thanks Mark !

Yes, it is a perfect example of how to use real estate to its best advantage. I don't often need one but, there have been times when one multi level grill would have made or, would make a large cook much more convenient!

I just saw a pic of a guy using an elevated grate on his RK yesterday. I'm definitely going to need to add some of those to my arsenal !!

Dave you are a good brother even though he only lives 5 minutes away I liked that part.
still close enough for help and pointers.
cool

Thanks Kev. Yeah, close enough for help and pointers, but also close enough to readily grab that RK if I need it :D

If I had that many zones to control I would have to keep off the beer until the cooking is finished.

Roger that Gary. Cooks like that definitely aren't the "sit back, drink a couple of beers and chill out" sessions. More like "Hey, when this is done, bring me that bottle of Bourbon! YES, the ENTIRE BOTTLE !!"

I have made a "condominium" for the 22, added some studs to my rotisserie ring and I put the "gourmet "system rack on the top so I can work through the center hole. It has worked surprisingly well!
The last trip to the "apartment complex" was for three racks of ribs on ground floor with a big pan of diced beets upstairs!
It's very convenient.

I have made a "condominium" for the 22, added some studs to my rotisserie ring and I put the "gourmet "system rack on the top so I can work through the center hole. It has worked surprisingly well!
The last trip to the "apartment complex" was for three racks of ribs on ground floor with a big pan of diced beets upstairs!
It's very convenient.

Nice. Got any pics ? Would love to see that !

I love this idea for a hack! I wonder if one could fab a ring from a coil of 12" aluminum flashing? Hmmm....

Back