EXCLUSIVE PHOTOS: 2014 14.5" Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker

Disclosure: This 14.5" WSM was provided as a sample by Weber so I could photograph it, write about it, cook on it, and share that information with you here and on The Virtual Weber Bullet website.

--

Here you go. Just a taste to get you started. I have also just published the Component Parts - 2014 WSM 14.5" article on TVWB, so you can check-out the detailed parts photos and measurements.

DSC03583_zps9d60072c.jpg

DSC03587_zps269f8247.jpg

As usual, great write up Chris. Thank You. Very cool that you were provided an pre-production version for review. Do you know how many were provided to other folks for the same reason? Those pre-production versions may become highly sought after items for the avid enthusiast.

Are you going to season the cooker per the advice of Harry Soo or are you simply going to wipe it out and start cooking?

Do you think the square door opening is a production feature or a pre-production feature? My 22.5" is a post 2010 design when Weber changed the shape of the access opening making the top corners round instead of square which can cause a problem for the high heat cooks when trying to invert then prop the door open. I welcome a door opening with right angle corners vs rounded top corners.

My next question concerns the silicone grommet. Did you find it difficult you get it in straight, get it to seat properly, and do you anticipate potential issues with deterioration? In my mind the design is ingenious.

And my final question is about the cover. I realize you gave away your mini (we now know the speculation behind why is true), but do you think it will fit the mini wsm so many of us made using a tamale steam pot? I know I'd like to have a cover for my mini (and my Jumbo Joe as well).

Last edited:
Wow, it's beautiful.When will you do the first cook. Can you put 2 spatchcock chickens in it?

Last edited:
hmm, I called Bass Pro as they carry the 18.5 and I have $200 in credit there, but they don't have plans to carry the 14.5, looks like I will have to buy one.

I won't lower myself to buying a propane smoker, my 22.5 would be insulted :wsm:

Can you buy online and ship to store Jeff?

This may be just the ticket for those (like myself) who want to dabble in smoking but don't want to invest in the space and money to get one of the larger models - plus the pots for making a mini are getting hard to find.

I see one in my future, but having bought two new grills this summer I don't think I can sweep this one under the rug this year.

Last edited:
I talked to the Bass Pro order line and they will not (at this time) be stocking or ordering it. I keep looking at the Masterbilt propane smoker, but I know how to use the Weber and like the quality, I built a mini and will give that to one of my son's. I just have to spend the money if I don't have to, but it looks like I might.

...I keep looking at the Masterbilt propane smoker...

Not sure this applies but if you ever are interested in competing (even in a backyard event) you would be better served to get a charcoal or wood fired pit. Elec and propane pits are prohibited in KCBS sponsored events. I know the local Alabama trail, though not sanctioned by KCBS, follows KCBS rules including the propane and elect pit ban. Not sure about other BBQ societies/organizations. I imagine others would be similar.

They just look, set and forget, but in reading about them people have to do all kinds of mods to them, the only mods I have ever done to my 22.5 was to put 3 grommets in it. When I am not using all 3 I stopper them with corks, work fine.

I think propane, electric, offset, or pellet smokers fall under Command Spock's comment "sometimes having is not so pleasing as wanting..."

Can you buy online and ship to store Jeff?

This may be just the ticket for those (like myself) who want to dabble in smoking but don't want to invest in the space and money to get one of the larger models - plus the pots for making a mini are getting hard to find.

I see one in my future, but having bought two new grills this summer I don't think I can sweep this one under the rug this year.

I would try Gertens greenhouse in Inver Grove Heights, they have an impressive Weber inventory, I'm sure they will get them, they have everything else.

In the picture of the three smokers, was the smallest (left hand one) an original Weber Smoker, I forget the model number?

I hope to get my hands on one of these soon. Doubt I will be able to leave it sit outside next to my 22.5. The 14.5 will be way to easy to pick up and walk away with.

I hope to get my hands on one of these soon. Doubt I will be able to leave it sit outside next to my 22.5. The 14.5 will be way to easy to pick up and walk away with.

That is why we adopted a half Rottweiler half shepard, 125 pounds of "don't touch my Weber smoker" :wsm:

That is why we adopted a half Rottweiler half shepard, 125 pounds of "don't touch my Weber smoker" :wsm:

I’ve got two Golden Retrievers guarding my Weber’s each is 100 pounds, one would sit on the perp and the other would lick him to death.

Very cool that you were provided an pre-production version for review. Do you know how many were provided to other folks for the same reason? Those pre-production versions may become highly sought after items for the avid enthusiast.
I don't have any info on this.

Are you going to season the cooker per the advice of Harry Soo or are you simply going to wipe it out and start cooking?
Just wipe it down and start cooking!

Do you think the square door opening is a production feature or a pre-production feature? My 22.5" is a post 2010 design when Weber changed the shape of the access opening making the top corners round instead of square which can cause a problem for the high heat cooks when trying to invert then prop the door open. I welcome a door opening with right angle corners vs rounded top corners.
It's my understanding the middle cooking section will have the square door opening shown in this unit.

My next question concerns the silicone grommet. Did you find it difficult you get it in straight, get it to seat properly, and do you anticipate potential issues with deterioration? In my mind the design is ingenious.
It took a little patience to get it inserted--it's a good, tight fit--but once in place, you can grab the edges with thumb and index fingers of both hands and rotate it to adjust the orientation.

And my final question is about the cover. I realize you gave away your mini (we now know the speculation behind why is true), but do you think it will fit the mini wsm so many of us made using a tamale steam pot? I know I'd like to have a cover for my mini (and my Jumbo Joe as well).
The cover is 38" long. You can measure your Mini to see if it will fit. My guess is it's a little long, but could be adapted. It has those annoying elastic straps at the bottom, like the other WSM covers. You could snip those and fold the cover up, like a cuff on pant legs, or trim it and seam it. But now I'm wondering about the diameter, given the handles on the tamale pot...someone is just going to have to try it and report back to us.

By the way, I stand by my original answer about why I gave away my Mini WSM. I built it before I knew there would be a 14.5" WSM, and I never intended to keep it, I intended to give it away to a lucky TVWBB member. :)

I’ve got two Golden Retrievers guarding my Weber’s each is 100 pounds, one would sit on the perp and the other would lick him to death.

"digger" is the biggest chicken in the world but looks mean. My wife has her trained so that if I try to hug her or slap her butt digger will growl and bark and get between us. BUT she is right there at the smoker the entire cook hoping for handouts!

Back