Enrico inspired Costco Prime Short Ribs

JPowers

TVWBB Fan
I've cooked my 4 bone slabs of short ribs whole in the past, but decided to cut them this time after seeing the great results from Enrico's last couple of cooks. Started early Saturday morning with the trimming and cutting of the slab. I then sprinkled them on all sides with Harry Soo's SYD Moola rub. Put them in the fridge to dry brine for awhile.

29bkndf.jpg

I went and ran some errands for a couple of hours and had originally planned to put them on around 2PM and go take a nap, but it looked like it was about to rain and decided to start after my nap. I work nights; so I needed to get back on a night schedule (been off the last few days). Midnight lunch it is! Woke up a few hours later, but waited until 6pm to fire up the WSM 14.5. That little guy is perfect for a 4 bone slab. Around 7pm, I was dialed in around 275-280 and put the meat on. I let it roll for 3 hours before checking them.

112g1oi.jpg

I started spraying with water every 20-30 minutes since the bark had set nicely. Took until a few minutes past Midnight when they were reading 190ish and the Thermapen was sliding in like butter. I pulled them shortly after the water was boiling on the stove.

2gu9vfk.jpg

I dropped the boxed macaroni n' cheese in the water while the ribs were resting. After 15 minutes, the mac was ready and plated it up.

spz0n6.jpg

First bite

m980wh.jpg

These came out great and will probably go this route in the future. I had much better smoke penetration and the added bark was just delicious. Thanks Enrico!

Last edited:
My mouths watering! Looks great! We're the ribs expensive?

No, very cheap at Costco. They usually run around $3-4 lb for a cryo bag of two 4 rib slabs. They usually weigh around 7-10 lbs a pack.

Previous pic from my first cook

Last edited:
Tremendous looking short ribs. Good narrative and a very successful cook. I'll have to check our Costco. Never had a midnight lunch before, but I came close to that for one or two of my dinners, usually stubborn pork butts.

You are welcome J.

Im still looking for right cooking time at 275F for short plate ribs normally thick.
5 hours turn them dry
4 hours turn them super juicy (not easily digestible for me)
So I suppose next time I will stop at 4:30 cooking time!

Last edited:
Looks very tasty...I'm ready for some beef ribs and am going to have buy some. Thanks to you and Enrico for the cooking tips!

WOW!!! Those look so yummy you did an excellent job on those ribs. Yes Enrico does have some awesome techniques.

Back