Emptying the water pan

Al S.

Anyone have any ideas on how to empty the water pan after a cook without making a HUGE mess trying to balance it to lift it out without spilling it everywhere. I'm using a 22 WSM and the pan clean up is such a pita that I've learned how to operate quite well without it tho I would like to use it from time to time.

Thanks,
Al

I have seen some posts on here to accomplish this. The way I get around it, is I don't put water in my water pan.

Water pan clean up is a pain! I used water for quite some time, now I've been converted to no water in the pan. I don't use a clay saucer or anything else. I just foil the pan. After the cook i just pull it off and throw it away. piece of cake. You'd be amazed at how well it maintains temp without a heat sink too. Try it a few times, you just might like it!

I don't use the pan either. But to answer your question. Just use enough water for your cook. @ 250 a 1/2 pan will last about 6-7hrs. Its alot easier too add water then to dump. I've also seen guys at comps use old beat down shop vacs to suck it out. Then go dump it. The worst part for me was getting to drunk and not cleaning the actual pan out. finding that pan a couple three days later after a weekend of celebrating man. was enough to be done with it.

As one that does do water...

It's really not that bad. But I only ever fill the pan to around half full. It makes those 15+ hour cooks force you to reach for the refill bottle, but it's easier then wrestling with a full 22" water pan while maintaining perfect balance. Basically, 2-3 quarts of water should do you good for most cooks, and leaves plenty of room for error when you need to dump it.

A lot of us don't use the water in the pan just use it dry. Others, like myself, replace the water pan with a clay saucer as a heat diffuser.

Another "empty, foiled pan" guy here, but you could try to siphon it out. Not by mouth, obviously, but some auto parts stores, most RV/camper supply places and probably even some hardware stores/home centers still have hand-operated siphon pumps. It's sort of like a big turkey baster with a second tube coming off of the bulb at the top. There are internal flaps that keep the liquid from going the wrong way.

I have one I use to pull fuel out of my snowblower and lawn equipment before storing it (when I remember to). I think it cost $5 a dozen or so years ago. As long as you let the liquid cool adequately, that should do the trick just fine.

This is what I do and it seems to work for the time being.

Give your smoker two to three days to completely cool off. Then take your garbage can and line it with one of those heavy duty trash bags from Home Depot then toss the water in there and then the ash from the bottom. I wash the pan in my utility sink.

Hope this helps.

I don't know of any other way to dispose of water other than to just be careful and stay balanced. I did pick up a tip on this site sometime back about spraying the water pan with Pam spray before putting water in for easy clean up. It works great. I usually wait a day or two after a cook and dump the water and just rinse out the pan with a hose and it stays remarkably clean. I may scrape it with a wire brush every 3rd cook or so if I have time but it really doesn't need it that often.

I have been leaving my water pan empty lately but I agree that it's a pain to clean when you do use water. I've thought about next time I decide to use water to put foil over the water to catch the drippings. I figure maybe if I leave a few vents around the edges (i.e. foil not folded all the way over) it should allow any steam to escape. I've never had to refill the pan so that wouldn't be a concern. It's worth a shot.

are there any issues with not filling the water pan with water and without foiling? I mean, just let the grease and gunk drip and cook and cake up inside the bowl.... will that gunk cause a smoky mess and change the taste of my food?

i don't use water, but couldn't you just dump it into a 5 gallon bucket so that you can easily transport it to a sink or wherever it's going to end up?

One thing for sure is you had better not cook without water in the pan. If you do you will never put water in the pan again. Someone told me that a few years ago and I haven't used water since. I wrap the pan with foil...sometimes I cook without a pan at all . jmho

We do a lot of deep fried Cajun turkey and do clean-up with a cooking oil filter pump . I use it for my water pan . I actually used it to drain a 150 gallon pond !

Had the same problem and tipped water into the charcoal bowl. What a mess. Never again. Now I just foil.

I've done it both ways. One messy, one not. Foil the pan. no water. When your done, wad up the foil and give it the heave ho.

Just balance it and pitch it. simple. fortunately i have a convenient place to dump it... over the fence onto the farm next to my house.

Back