Emergency Horseradish Sauce

John K BBQ

TVWBB All-Star
I had some good friends over last night for a tri-tip dinner. The meal was fairly well planned out, but at the moment of truth, with a basic salt & pepper tri-tip, we had forgotten a sauce! Often times I serve some chimichurri, or a santa-maria style tomato chunky sauce from Weber's grilling recipe book, but just before serving we didn't have time to make either. My best buddy said hey, lets whip up some horseradish sauce. But then, we were out of sour cream (bummer). We used some cream cheese instead. I put about a 1/4 cup in the microwave for a few seconds, then put in about a 1/4 cup of horseradish. I've got to say this turned out really nice, and was so easy I'll probably do it again.

Any other horseradish fans out there?
IMG-2870.jpg

YES John, good idea!!!!! Thank you for telling us about it. Isn't it great to be able to share ideas? I love doing that also.

Does anyone grate their own horseradish?

Joan, I know that some people do, the local grocery store out here in the sticks stocks whole fresh horseradish root when it's in season. Somebody has to be buying it.

I love hot food but I’m not a fan of horseradish. Is there any hope for me? I’ve forced myself to eat it on multiple occasions but it hasn’t grown on me.

For me, horseradish heat differs from capsicum heat in that it hits my nose and sinuses a lot harder. A spoonful is one of my favorite ways to relieve nasal congestion. ;)

An old friend of mine used to, he said he had planted a bit in his back yard and it just went crazy! He used to tell me that he’d go out to his picnic table and grind away with tears rolling down his face ! That was the best horseradish I’ve ever had, in my entire life to date! I really miss that man. He made beautiful fruit boats for my wedding banquet, birds of paradise using the crowns of pineapples for the tail and bananas for heads! It was one great party! I got the best part of the deal, my wife!

For me, horseradish heat differs from capsicum heat in that it hits my nose and sinuses a lot harder. A spoonful is one of my favorite ways to relieve nasal congestion. ;)

My Grandfather always said if you got a stuffy nose, open a bottle of Horseradish and take a deep breath.
That stuff will clear you out..

I mix prepared or fresh horseradish with horseradish sauces such as Kraft, Woeber's, Inglehoffer etc., I love horseradish!

I mix prepared or fresh horseradish with horseradish sauces such as Kraft, Woeber's, Inglehoffer etc., I love horseradish!
Sounds good, although I think Woeber's is pretty good by itself. I'll bet mixing prepared horseradish with miracle whip would be pretty good.

Back