Eddie Van Halen passed

My first concert was August 14, 1993, Van Halen in Phoenix, AZ! His music (mainly the second era) was a huge part of my life!

Van Halen used to play at my buddies backyard parties in Pasadena, he gave me a cassette tape of the first Van Halen album,
man did I burn that cassette tape out quick playing broom ball at midnight at Ice Capades Chalet in Costa Mesa.

RIP Eddie

With regards to the classic rockers we are entering the twilight of the gods era. The next ten years will be a tsunami of dying legends.

No disrespect intended, but I am hearing conversations (radio, other forums, etc.) claiming EVH to be the "greatest" guitar player.
Great- yes, greatest- meh...

...he is among the greatest,

To me, the thing that makes a great musician is being so innovative and so creative as to carve out a niche for themselves. Close your eyes and listen to Jimi or Stevie Ray or David Gilmour or Eddie or Jimmy Page or Eric Clapton...they all play the same type of instrument but each has created his own interpretation and captured the public imagination. That, to me, is greatness, to lead, not follow, and create a sound that has never been before.

Eddie played the 20-second lick in MJ's "Beat It", unpaid, as an unnamed session musician while the rest of the band was out of town and he thought he could get away with it. Really?

I was in my early teens when they came out. First song I heard was Jamie's Cryin. Was immediately blown away. The intro to Pretty Woman and Eruption are to this day are unbelievable. Not a fan of Jump where they moved more towards keys. Eddie played those too. Sammy Haggar was good for them with DLR left.

He always seemed like a cool guy and definitely had his own sound.

RIP.

I would put him in the top 10-15- 20 range. He had a unique sound/technique that no one else had, or more precisely, what no one heard before.
Couldn't disagree with you more. Van Halen 1/II/ Woman and Children First/ and Fair Warning were the 4 best albums by any Rock Band before or since.

Eddie was doing s#hit that no one else had done before and in the 70.s early 80's VH had no equal, especially with the 3-part harmonies. We didn't know how good we had it...

Listen to what Eddie is doing on these songs-

We lost an innovator and a Legend.

Jeff

Ooohh.... Klipsch's! Have not heard that name in a long time...
Those IMHO, are up there with 901's and the first generation of Polk RTA's for a sound pleasure!

Last edited:
901's??
The speaker will only one driver facing you??
Bose...better sound through marketing. The Apple of their time.

Jeff

Back