Eddie Van Halen passed

Not for every room, that's for sure. Had to face them towards the wall... almost had to design the room around the speaker (also had to have the factory "equalizer.") herd 'em a few times back in the 80's in a "properly placed" location.

"No highs, no lows. must be Bose" was a popular slogan for Bose back in the day.
9 mid-range drivers, with no woofer or tweeter relying on an eq to make up the difference?

Bose was sue-happy back in the day, did the same to Consumer Reports after a not so glowing review.

Jeff

Not neccesarily going to disagree.. but we digress...

To return to OP's topic:

EVH= one of the greatest guitar players. But what is the opinion of the lead singer for his band?
The classicists may choose DLR; the modernist might like Sammy. What say others?

No question, David Lee Roth.
Like I stated earlier VH's first 4 albums, pure gold. After that not so much.

While Sammy is unquestionably the better vocalist the band made Love Songs after his arrival while the original lineup was pure hard rock..

Jeff

Gonna go with Jeff on this one. I like both versions of the band, but much prefer the DLR days.

I'm always amazed when I read the short bio's on Rock n' Roll (and even Jazz) icons. It's hard to believe how these guys have "everything" and end up throwing it away and living such short lives. I revived my Van Halen fandom a few summers ago and really enjoyed reliving some of my high school days. VH is not in my top 10 favs, but fun to listen to for sure. My tastes lean more toward AC/DC and ZZ Top depending on my mood. Planning to listen to a couple of VH classics with my 16 yr old son this weekend to have our own little memorial. RIP Eddie, thanks for the music.

His music, along with my Marantz2270 amp, Garrard301 turntable and those JBL100 speakers are the reason for my early departure from 1117 South 86th Street in West Allis.

And I loved EVERY song he wrote/preformed!

Very cool article! Gives meaning behind the Franken-Strat.

I like to watch yootoob for music of songs and artists that I like... not necessarily for the originals but also for cover interpretations. Video technology allows us to enjoy some very talented musicians from all over the world...

I like covers because the style of the musician can come forth with ther own style, hence the term "interpretation." Very rarely have I come across recreations that are close to the original artist.

EVH was very heavily populated on the steams last week... I happen to catch the video below, pretty good re-make:

Back