Easy way to clean fireboxes?

Ditto, we are all interested...

If I was to start from scratch what specs for a compressor would I need to make one of these things work effectively, blast cabinet or not? Any ideas out there?

Man, I have sand everywhere here for the asking. I could probably refill bags with beach sand for nothing but my time. Could that possibly work? If so, than recycling and a blast cabinet wouldn’t be necessary for my situation. Just a decent compressor and usable gun. Any recommendations? The one on Amazon Stefan linked looks interesting.

Last edited:
Stefan linked looks interesting.

That appears to be a small hobbyist type of gun.
For endcaps and fireboxes, you would need something much larger.
I would think one of these (be sure to watch the short video)

https://www.harborfreight.com/20-lbs-pressurized-abrasive-blaster-68994.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/40-lbs-pressurized-abrasive-blaster-68992.html

or larger would be needed. I would also be very leary of running beach sand. You would
want to filter it first to avoid clogging.

I saw a video of a guy using playground sand from the local hardware store. He runs it through an old window screen before filling the blaster.
I was also thinking about using crushed walnuts. They should decompose over time and not leave a big mess.

Dave,
Your advice is good both about getting an adequate unit and avoiding material that would clog it up.

For someone like me with neither a compressor nor the applicator tool, not to mention the safety gloves and media, the start-up cost even without a blast cabinet could easily be in the $400+ range. If I could do grills as much as wish, I could see how this would be worth it over the long haul if it does the job in a reasonable time frame. A custom cabinet designed for fireboxes would be a huge plus, too.

As it stands now, I guess I will rely on my grinders and try to keep my mouth, nose, eyes, ears and hands protected. We talked a lot here about the potential danger of GrillGrates being made out of aluminum. It can't possibly be good to inhale particles of aluminum dust along with soot, burnt grease and who knows what. I try to keep a decent mask on but some of that stuff I know still gets by it. Media blasting looks like it would still have risks, too, but I think not nearly so much from inhalation of toxins.

Was just looking at those this AM. Though not really in the "mood" since I just got word of my uncle's passing early this AM :(

Dave,
Your advice is good both about getting an adequate unit and avoiding material that would clog it up.

For someone like me with neither a compressor nor the applicator tool, not to mention the safety gloves and media, the start-up cost even without a blast cabinet could easily be in the $400+ range. If I could do grills as much as wish, I could see how this would be worth it over the long haul if it does the job in a reasonable time frame. A custom cabinet designed for fireboxes would be a huge plus, too.

As it stands now, I guess I will rely on my grinders and try to keep my mouth, nose, eyes, ears and hands protected. We talked a lot here about the potential danger of GrillGrates being made out of aluminum. It can't possibly be good to inhale particles of aluminum dust along with soot, burnt grease and who knows what. I try to keep a decent mask on but some of that stuff I know still gets by it. Media blasting looks like it would still have risks, too, but I think not nearly so much from inhalation of toxins.

John,

One thing that might lessen the bitter pill is the notion that ALL self respecting men ought to have an air compressor in their tool arsenal. Kind of like having a circular saw and a hammer. It's just MAN LAW. That way, the compressor doesn't figure into the cost of this project as it has other purposes. Hell, this project is just one more reason to justify getting the compressor !!

- - - Updated - - -

Was just looking at those this AM. Though not really in the "mood" since I just got word of my uncle's passing early this AM :(

Sorry for your loss Larry.

I agree Dave. You wouldn't believe how many justifications I have in my garage already.

Yep air compressors are definitely a must have for the man card. I have 2 of them. One for the garage and one in the basement for my mixer shop

You guys need to stop this right now or I will have to start looking for a good psychologist, or a banker, or both. Maybe a divorce lawyer too. :eek:

I was telling my psychiatrist I was starting to feel like a dog. He told me to get off the couch!

Larry,
I am very sorry for your loss, especially this time of year. My prayer is that God will give you and your loved ones special grace and peace.

I was telling my psychiatrist I was starting to feel like a dog. He told me to get off the couch!

Yes, that’s what I would be looking at if I came home with a compressor and media blasting apparatuses. :eek:

That’s not to say that it isn’t a very good idea. And I agree that a compressor IS a multi-use piece of equipment. Since getting into this crazy grill restoration thing my tool arsenal has expanded from my CPA nerd days of a small group of old Made in USA Craftsman basics, but I still have a ways to go and not much space to allocate. Someday maybe I will have my dream “grill barn” set up to do real grill restorations. A media blasting station would be an important feature.

Women and tools. Always a topic of controversy. My Wife is the dream bride of any Weber fanatic as I
have mentioned here many times. She helps me acquire them, transport, clean, prep, and seldom complains at all. HOWEVER,
that whole tool thing ..... If I get a tool, I better damn well use it, or I will be getting an earful at some point.

I bought a router about 12 years ago. I just had to have it. It was going to change my life. Not a particularly expensive one,
about $75 or so. Well, that router sat on a shelf for 6 years before I ever opened the box. When I finally got around to opening
it, there were no bits included. I bought one bit, and used it the one time. It has sat in the same spot in my garage for another
6 years. I still have dreams of using it all the time, and I still plan for it to change my life at some point. And of course, I still hear
about that router a couple of times a year, and mainly when I mention I am about to purchase another tool that will be life altering.
Typically, I leave the subject alone, and let her go on and on until she runs out of steam. However, if the mood strikes me right, I
take her by the hand, walk her to her closet, and start counting her shoes and purses. End of conversation. ;)

Last edited:

Back