Easy way to clean fireboxes?

Same here. 2 gallon for the little stuff. 20 gallon for the not so little.

I had bought one of those little $39 specials at HF but it died in short order. While looking around I found an Italian brand FINI at Menard's. It's a 6 gal and is a much nicer unit than the HF one. Lots more capacity too. I am quite happy with it. However HF now sells a new line of smaller ones they promise to be more powerful and 80% quieter than a normal one. While they intrigue me I don't plan on buying one anytime soon

Dave, my wife doesn't bother me about my tools or my grills. But, she doesn't seem interested in assisting with my compulsions either. I bought a router about 15 years ago. I can't say I use it a whole lot, and it probably sat 3 or more years between some uses, but I have used it. In fact, I used it when I fabricated up the grill handle for my Genesis 1000 and it certainly came in handy for that.

Oh, and if you think your wife has a shoe problem, then don't let her meet my wife or you will regret it.

Larry I would like to add my condolences and prayers for your family as well.

I lost a dear uncle about 8 years ago so I know how tough it can be.

Yes, that’s what I would be looking at if I came home with a compressor and media blasting apparatuses. :eek:

That’s not to say that it isn’t a very good idea. And I agree that a compressor IS a multi-use piece of equipment. Since getting into this crazy grill restoration thing my tool arsenal has expanded from my CPA nerd days of a small group of old Made in USA Craftsman basics, but I still have a ways to go and not much space to allocate. Someday maybe I will have my dream “grill barn” set up to do real grill restorations. A media blasting station would be an important feature.

Damn, I guess it's up to the single guy to show you married guys how to be sneaky. Of course, if you come home with a compressor AND the media blasting stuff, you'll be in all sorts of trouble. The way to do it is to get the compressor first. Then, in a couple of months, like when grills start really popping up, that's when you get the other stuff. I mean, at that point, you already have the compressor, right ? It only makes sense to get the other stuff so that you'll get more use out of it. :)

Yah, and a blanket and pillows right next to it because that is where our new sleeping quarters would be.

Dave and Bruce,
My wife even grinned a little at this exchange;). No media blasting stuff for me right now...I did get a Harber Freight gift card for Christmas, though:cool:!

Well, I decided to give media blasting a try. There is a place around the corner from where I work that does Soda Blasting, so I dropped some parts off there this morning for a clean. I will post some pictures of the results. I am having the firebox, wire rack (bottom), and the favorizers all cleaned up. For those that are curious it was ~$100. I'm looking forward to see how things turn out. I've been fairly busy, and would like to have all the parts ready for assembly before the weather turns. I have a growing pile of finished parts in my basement. Can't wait to get it done!

Charles, what was your reasoning for doing this? Keeper or to flip?
I would like to be able to do this, however $100 would be way over
my over my budget for either.

Larry my deepest condolences, i wish you and your family nothing but positivity in this difficult time.

As far as cleaning, what about hitting the small spots with a torch before wire cup brushing? I have thought about this, but being that I have my gas containers in my garage, a torch is kinda off limits for me right now lol.

Charles, what was your reasoning for doing this? Keeper or to flip?
I would like to be able to do this, however $100 would be way over
my over my budget for either.

This is for a keeper. Mostly just curiosity and wanting to get it really clean. It was quite gross when I picked it for $10. It is cleaning up nicely so far. It was a little more than I wanted to spend, but with kids and other housework to keep up with, it was also done to save some time on the restoration.

The next phase will be RCP grates, and some custom wood tables/end pieces. I do some wood working, and have a design that I want to try out. Then I will be done.

I have been very lucky w the past couple rehabs. I soak the firebox interior, grates, etc. with a strong degreaser. After an hour or two, I fire up the Honda engine on the Ryobi 3000 psi pressure washer, attach the awesome turbo nozzle, and blast away until 90% of the crud is gone. Rinse and repeat if necessary. Any remaining few spots quickly come off with a touch of a coarse sanding sponge or the old cup brush.

And when not cleaning fireboxes and assorted parts (wheels, drip trays, durawood or wood slats, Weber badges, even lids), the p-washer cleans autos, windows, siding, concrete slabs, stone, screens, wood fencing, gutters etc. There are a myriad of "nozzles." IDK how I've lived without a p-washer all these years. It's probably the smarter investment for the handyman who also rehabs grills. IMHO.

Oh, yah, 3000 psi would be nice.
Wisconsin is nice this time of year. Tree colors should be at peak pretty soon. Bring your pressure washer. LOL

I have used a pressure washer that our organization has with some success. It is a pain to go to our shop and get everything there and situated, so I haven't used it in ages. Maybe something to look into...

Use protection when going at it with a high pressure 0 degree nozzle. Especially eye protection. And do not forget about protecting your feet too! Curious if shells or dry ice work as well as sand. Less waste with dry ice but probably much more expensive. Clean up is easier. Flying debris from the pressure washer, look out. Solvents and carb cleaners or degreasers should help but very harsh on the environment and absolutely you.

After sand blasting, would the finish be ready for some kind of treatment? I should have several compressors but my man card expired...

She gets shoes, I get ...

Back