E 320 Genesis conversion Natural Gas over to Propane...!!!

OK could not find the bag they came in but here are photos of one I have xtra that I never drilled
wTezexV.jpg
iC9lBj6.jpg
7xo5GDs.jpg
It does in fact measure 3/8" across the flats BTW, when I put a caliper on the threaded portion I get about 5/16"

Just received an Email from Anderson Forester, they are going to try and make a recommendation of the orifices Spud replacement... i sent them 2 more pictures.... they are trying to determine the Thread...

Man i wish i had a caliper... if you have the correct tool ...life is better...!!! right

Can you determine the Length...?

Last edited:
I am pretty sure it is them I last ordered from. They're so cheap I actually kinda guessed and guessed right keep us in the loop how you do

I am pretty sure it is them I last ordered from. They're so cheap I actually kinda guessed and guessed right keep us in the loop how you do

Thee hardest part in determining the Threat for the 3/8 inch hole on the Value. What is the thread on the orifice you have above...?

Dave:
Since these are brass, a Dremel tool should have no problem if you have the correct drill bit. My biggest issue would be finding the bits. Larry mentioned big box stores, but I have had no luck in the past finding bits other than standard sizes from HD, Lowes, and even Ace. At least the guy at Ace had heard of them and imagined that they could be special ordered. One guy suggested Hobby Lobby or Hobbytown. I really miss my old hardware store back in Rhode Island, but even they are turning more and more to blister packed items. My biggest issue after Larry's excellent description is that while things may be close to intended Weber performance, it still will not be 100% true Weber performance. I can understand flippers going for the cheaper alternative to keep costs within reason, but I would rather have things correct to specs for my own grill. There's a guy on eBay who sells conversion kits for various grills, but it' like the old Craftsman 99 piece tool sets. People get easily in over their heads only to screw things up, broken valve cover bolts, broken recessed spark plugs, etc. Granted there is now a lot of stuff on Youtube, but not everything there is right either. I've learned a lot from Larry in the last year, but I'd want my grill to be 100%, not just close. It would bug me over time. Besides, any Weber is an investment we'll have for a long, long time.

Kelvin:
Take one of your orifices to any hardware store and play match up. Worse case, try a thread guage. They should give you the info you need to pass on to Anderson Forester.

I would NOT use a Dremel. Simply get one of those hand type bits I linked. It is how I size them. Slow and careful Don't try to do it all at once. I do them in 2 or 3 steps. Don, I am not sure why you cannot seem to find the bits. I can walk into just about any home center (I primarily use Menard's because it's only a mile away), but even Harbor Freight it's drop dead easy to find
Yes doing what I recommended will not be 100% accurate BUT it will be so close most will never notice and even if Kelvin is not happy he's not "out" a lot. A few $$$ at most is all <$25 and worst case he doesn't like it and buys a manifold. But I have done this for other people letting them know it's not 100% and I have never heard a complaint. There is no safety issue as there is no danger of the burners going out while still flowing gas as in the opposite conversion which I STRONGLY recommend against but going NG to LP there is no danger of this. Only slight inaccuracy on low/med which is easily remedied by monitoring and shutting a burner off
But again DO NOT do this with a Dremel tool. You'll hurt yourself, snap bits and have much grief.
As for thread size I have no way of knowing. I took a stab at a guess and it was right.
Kelvin, there is not much to lose. But yeah paying the $150 or so for a complete manifold is the no brainer in the room and the easiest. No guess work

Dave, those would probably be the correct range, however you might not find the "exact" size you want/need. Even if you can get close would probably be fine however. I am sure you could get just about any size you need at a place like a Fastenal store.

It's Kelvin's choice, but I'd take the no brainer if I am guessing at what size the spuds are and how much work it will take to get things to work as intended. Running a dremel at the lowest speed shouldn't be a big issue since there is already a pilot hole. I've got a stand accessory for mine which make it like a drill press. No Menards here and while there is a HF here, it is on the other side of the city. I certainly would not pay over $200 for a set of bits I would use once. Heck, even the ebay guy has a cheaper price than that for drilled spuds and even throws in the wrench! I'd rather have piece of mind by purchasing a correct manifold and keeping the old one just in case I move. As you mention, you can't convert in the other direction. So if someone moves, they are right back at square one in need of a complete manifold.

It's Kelvin's choice, but I'd take the no brainer if I am guessing at what size the spuds are and how much work it will take to get things to work as intended. Running a dremel at the lowest speed shouldn't be a big issue since there is already a pilot hole. I've got a stand accessory for mine which make it like a drill press. No Menards here and while there is a HF here, it is on the other side of the city. I certainly would not pay over $200 for a set of bits I would use once. Heck, even the ebay guy has a cheaper price than that for drilled spuds and even throws in the wrench! I'd rather have piece of mind by purchasing a correct manifold and keeping the old one just in case I move. As you mention, you can't convert in the other direction. So if someone moves, they are right back at square one in need of a complete manifold.

There seems to be a lot you either don't understand or are misinterpreting. There is no "guessing" on the spud size. I put a link to a flow chart. LP runs at 11"WC so if you have a 36k BTU grill with 3 burners you simply make the spud opening at whatever size you need. In use of a Dremel I was assuming the little high speed hand held tool. However yes a little drill press arrangement with the tool running at a slow speed could work fine. I see no need to spend the $$$ to do it when a simple hand held drill handle does the job fine and cheap. Again not knowing where you live I have no knowledge of what stores you have or your geography. Not sure where you see $200 for a small set of bits to do this either. I think it's kinda making a mountain out of a molehill IMO. The little hand drill handle and bits on EBay will do the job just fine totally a no brainer. As for going back and forth between NG/LP in Kelvin's case he has a NG grill. So if he keeps his original orifices he can do so with no issue. At issue is the other way around is all.
Again the complete manifold is the most elegant solution but my recommendations are not at all difficult and a VERY small fraction of the price.

Larry: Maybe I'm a little more confused than usual with my old timers setting in. The link you provided on ebay for the bits shows a price of $212 and the spud size I was referring to was the thread size, not the orifice size which is the current issue Kelvin is trying to resolve with a supplier. The flow chart is spot on. I'd rather pay a little more, be 100% compliant and keep my future options open. If that is "elegant" to ensure piece of mind, so be it. As a "swamp yankee" I'd gladly go the cheapest route if I thought it the way to go. Different strokes for different folks.

Looks like that $212 asking price may be a typo or something.
There are many others listed below that for under $10

When I put that in my watch list from EBay it was $11.00 IIRC. Here is what I thought I had linked https://www.ebay.com/itm/20pc-FINE-...-CHUCK-VICE-/382801222564?hash=item5920bb1ba4 which is what it was when I put it in my saved list
Re the thread size there aren't that many different sizes. So it's pretty sure bet if he just orders by the diameter of the spud itself it should be fine, it's what I did. Even if he orders a wrong size or two still WAY cheaper than new manifold. But, again, not saying the manifold is the wrong way to go, just that it's worth taking a chance on a DIY version

I'm going to give this a go and try it out. NGer's aren't exactly as common as
a black kettle around here, but there are enough of them that it's in my
wallets best interest to learn how to make the cheap conversion. I have gotten lucky
and found manifolds to swap before, but right now I have 2 NGer's and not a single
prospect of finding a propane manifold. I also do not have access to a NG port,
and it makes it tough to sell a grill when the buyer can't even fire it up.

Question - what exactly happens if you simply add on the propane hose, without
changing the spuds? Is there really a huge difference in temps?

Back