Dry Brine?

The closest I would come to this is leaving my rub on overnight(which I guess is really what it is). It's a great idea in theory but almost all store bought rubs come with salt. If I'm cooking a pork shoulder that requires more salt I just put on more rub than I would ribs that require less. When I'm cooking brisket, I go the salt/pepper route and I do sometimes apply salt separately, then my pepper. The salt is the most important thing to get right. If you are making your own rubs, there's no reason not to do this.

I use dry brine all the time and am an advocate as well. Particularly good for steaks and ribs. I do not rub my steaks, salt pepper and fire are all the seasoning they get. Before cooking a steak I will dry brine at least 2 hours prior. I then follow the amazing ribs method for "better than steak-house steaks" including reverse sear. Never disappoints.

For ribs, chicken, etc. that I use rubs on , yes eliminate the salt and all will be fine.

I like to dry-brine by pretending I have been served an unseasoned steak. I add the amount of salt that I would in that case for the brine. Usually pretty liberal as I am a salt junky, however, I never have overly salty meat from dry brining.

-rog

I used to trim and rub meat the day before and refrigerate it overnight, wrapped or bagged. I just do it day of now and I'm not sure if there is a big difference. That said, I think the idea of salting meat for several/many hours makes sense. If you make your own rub, just leave out the salt and you're good. I started doing this when I noticed that my ribs were too salty and my pork butt not salty enough. The logical fix is to salt separately and appropriately. I do briskets much like Dustin -- salt, then pepper. Sometimes I'm just feeling in a peppery mood and load up on the black stuff. Doing it separately allows me to consult my mood ring before applying the pepper.

I'm definitely going to try the dry brine and Amazing Ribs procedure on my next steaks.

Jeff

Dry-brining overnight is my method of choice whenever I'm cooking thick cut steaks or pork chops. I find the meat to taste more uniformly seasoned when using this method.

I dry brine all the time and so far it's worked out great for me. I've looked into this quite a bit (amazingribs, the Food Lab at seriouseats, America's Test Kitchen) and all talk about the benefits of dry brine.

As Dustin noted, be careful if you are using commercial rubs as those already contain salt. Since I like to make my own rubs, I just leave out the salt. Then I dry brine the meat the night before.

Its a must for me!
I dont add any more salt.
Last cooks I used dry rub while sous viding (many hours) and I was warried about driyng too much the meat. But I couldn't find any bad effect. Meat was juicy and tender.

I dry brine my butts all the time. Salt them up the night before, rinse in the morning and apply rub. I don't add salt to my rubs.

Serriously? People buy pre-made rubs?

Back