Doing beef back ribs on Sunday

J. Wilson

TVWBB Fan
Bought 'em yesterday and they looked great! Couldn't believe as usually the meat is all stripped off the top.

I've never really done beef back ribs before....I don't like foiling spares or baby backs (don't care for the texture) so I was wondering if no foil works for these bad boys also. Was thinking 275 for about 6 hours. Am really picky about fat in my bbq and like it really rendered out. Thoughts?

Sounds like a plan! Beef ribs are my holy grail. I cant wait to cook some. Even though I'm surrounded by cow towns it seems like they are hard to find. The beef backs I see aren't worth buying with all the meat cut off and short ribs are usually cut Korean style or too small.

Enrico, those look awesome! That's what I'm going for!

I had a hard time finding a beef short rib plank. I ended asking the butcher at HEB for them. I got two planks of four bones each. Seasoned and vacuumed seal them each, froze one and cooked one:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Three hours in at 280*ish:

attachment.php

Done after about 5.5 hours. When I do the second rack, I will go longer as one bone was still a little tough.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Tenderness flowed from left to right. Most --> a little tough.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Wrapped that "a little tough" bone in foil with a little water and finished it off in the oven. It made a great lunch the next day...

Those look great Dave. One of mine wasn't done after 5.5, a little longer and all would have been melt in your mouth.

At 250F, I've had big beef ribs cooked in 4 hours, AND 6 hours
The ribs ain't gonna tell you when they're done...
just like pork, the beef will screw your timing

think I'm joking??

good luck with yours :D

No that was just a shot at 2 hours, they went close to 5 total
Chuck
T
J
Thank you for the kind words

As Jim pointed out they can vary keep a close eye on them

Last edited:
I don't mean to sound like a smartass (tho' I can be), but beef ribs are as unpredictable as ANY other piece of meat you expect to finish when you WANT IT TO...

Oh I understand....I didn't take it that way at all.

I don' think in the history of me cooking has anything finished quick. I've been pretty good at guessing lately on my WSM and how I like it...so we'll see. If a recipe says a certain amount of time it takes me longer.....if somebody on here says x hours it's x+1 (or more) for me. I will post a video Sunday night and post to Youtube.

Back