Dog Star rescue fundraiser

Eric Michaud

TVWBB Super Fan
I am proud to be a founding member of Dog Star rescue here in Connecticut, Saturday we had our biggest fundraiser Bark N Brew. Because of my love of BBQ and the fact I grew up in the restaurant biz I was in charge of food. We were planning on a crowd of 250 but I did extra just in case which was the right move.
I was able to hook up with a commercial spice company, sent them my recipe and I got 7 lbs of rub for 32 bucks. I got 15 butts for pulled pork sandwiches averaging over 9 lbs a piece. I numbered them and put them in order by weight and split them up lightest to heaviest using my 4 WSMs, 2- 18s and 2-22s. heavier ones on the bottom and the smallest in each smoker were probed save for the lightest one, had issues with a probe.

I had a few obstacles to deal with, mainly the wind, did not have the time to put a wind screen together for such a big set up. About a third of them were done as expected but the bigger ones were a bit stubborn so with about 2 hours to go I wrapped the remaining 10 or so. After wrapping I cranked up the heat, showered and got the rest of my gear together and all were done by my 4:30 deadline. Not as many pics as I would have liked but it was there was a lot going on doing this solo.

Our service team was set up perfectly, at about 10 minutes before the doors opened Lou and I started pulling and the crew making sandwiches. About and hour and 20 minutes in I was notified we were already over 300 people, THANK GOD I DID EXTRA lol. Everyone got fed, just to make sure we were covered Dan ordered more from a local BBQ joint but we did not need it, we fed the volunteers and the employees of the brewery where we held the event. Sorry so long but I was so proud to pull this off, the reviews were great. My ability to pull this off is because of this site. I have learned so much here, thanks for looking.

Eric

My rub

15 butts

my set up

My assistant Junior pooped after a long night of tending the smokers

Almost done

A link from CtNow.com covering the event
http://www.ctnow.com/pictures/ctnow-pictures-bark-and-brew-20151010-photogallery.html

Last edited:
Awesome looking butts and lots of sandwiches too. I'm sure Junior had his share also, someone has to try it? I know our two would be in your lap waiting for a taste.

Wow, what an outstanding cook Eric! Very worthy cause and know you must be proud and rightfully so. Those three butts look fabulous!!!

Awesome looking butts and lots of sandwiches too. I'm sure Junior had his share also, someone has to try it? I know our two would be in your lap waiting for a taste.

Lol, Junior did get a few pieces that I scraped from the grate. Did not have any to spare. Thanks.

Thanks folks, truly appreciate the kind words. I forgot to add details, I know most share more details. Used 6 chunks in the 18's and 7 in the 22s, all maple. Temp I was shooting for was 250 in all but one with the biggest butts, 275 was my goal on that one.

Great food, great cause.

Did that spice company make your rub and package it for you? If so that's pretty cool

Back