Does chimney brand matter?

For reference, here's an ordinary chimney flanked by Webers:

20200614_164909_resized.jpg

I've named my Weber chimneys "Harry" and "Frank". Can anyone other than "timothy" or "LMichaels" figure out why? First correct guess wins a beer, should we ever meet in person.;)

For reference, here's an ordinary chimney flanked by Webers:

View attachment 6962

I've named my Weber chimneys "Harry" and "Frank". Can anyone other than "timothy" or "LMichaels" figure out why? First correct guess wins a beer, should we ever meet in person.;)
I have these same three each has there purpose but I use my small Weber the most so handy for filling baskets.

A cheap and effective way to turbo your chimney is to use one of those telescoping campfire bellows.

Basically a long metal straw that let's you blow air in a very targeted way. Really gets the chimney roaring.

Don't know how much time it saves, but it is fun to use. And probably safer than the leaf blower.

I've got two very old random ones I bought with the big holes in the bottom and I've had for 9 years. They work fine. The Weber is great but I"m sure the design could be improved on. I've had mine for 5 or 6 years and no problems. The thing about the Weber is that they are so ubiquitous that people often talk in terms of "half a chimney of charcoal" and they mean a Weber chimney. That's probably the biggest reason to have one is that everyone knows what that means and everyone knows what KBB is. Once you get beyond that the brand name doesn't matter. I think the Weber could do with more small holes towards the top myself. What I do I know, though?

I've seen those, but too many parts, and then you add hinges. Seems to me that it will fail over time.
I remember Boy Scouts and the Frugal Gourmet. Take a metal coffee can and a churchkey . Easy Peasy..
I'll stick with my Weber. On my second one in 20 years.

Tim

I'd stay away from the Oklahoma Joe's, it's wide and shallow, but I haven't had much luck with it. Stok offered one a few years ago that had an electric fan at the bottom, I still kick myself for not picking one of those up.

I've seen those, but too many parts, and then you add hinges. Seems to me that it will fail over time.
I remember Boy Scouts and the Frugal Gourmet. Take a metal coffee can and a churchkey . Easy Peasy..
I'll stick with my Weber. On my second one in 20 years.

Tim
My father used to do that!

I have the big and small Weber chimneys. If you can keep them out of the rain they take much longer to start rusting away. Both work great and start right up when sitting on top of the Performer burner. I've never bought another brand and whenever someone has included a chimney with a used grill that I've bought, it's always been a Weber one.

Back