Does anyone use a mechanics Oiler for cooking?

Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Aside from the old Alton Brown episodes, do any of you folks use a “Pump Oiler” for oil dispensing? It always made some sense to me , it’s a measured amount, light tight, and washable. But, are they “food safe”?
Curious and only passively interested, I like the concept.

While I appreciate an awful lot of what Mr. Brown espouses..... I don't think I could use one of those, just no way to make sure that it's thoroughly cleaned of anything non-food safe. The paint alone could be an issue.

Me, I have just plain gotten spoiled by [semi-disposable] plastic squeeze bottles. Yeah, I don't get a measured squirt, but I do all right.

Aside from the old Alton Brown episodes, do any of you folks use a “Pump Oiler” for oil dispensing? It always made some sense to me , it’s a measured amount, light tight, and washable. But, are they “food safe”?
Curious and only passively interested, I like the concept.
I think it's really just part of his Shtick. As for safety it's a shoulder shrug for me. As for would I use one? No way. They do leak and really just don't look right in a kitchen

I remember seeing some brass ones years ago, I was thinking that someone has to make one in stainless? So far, no luck.
Fletch, you’re welcome anytime!
J, I am in the same boat, the paint is a concern, finding one in stainless would be ideal but, until then I will use the plain stainless steel bottle that I have on the counter presently. If I ever find the right one, it will be cool but, it’s not a game changer.

Last edited:
If the oiler in question is the thumb-operated style that's designed to be held in 1 hand, from what I can recall all the ones I've ever seen were painted only on the outside with the mechanism and the inside of the can being bare metal. So yeah, a used one that's supposedly "clean" might make me raise an eyebrow but I'd probably be comfortable with a new one.

The really good ones were the Goldenrod brand used in the oil field. To find one NIB would be very difficult and very expensive but, way cool! Still, they are garage art, not kitchen art.

I’m not so much interested in garage or kitchen “art”, but better delivery system.
My father had one of the galvanized ones Mike!
Colin, Goldenrod is still in production, not great reviews from Amazon but, that’s the idea.
$12-20.00 doesn’t seen excessive but, I’m not sure if it’s the right way to go.
More research needs to be done.

Last edited:
I think it's a problem waiting to happen. If it was worthwhile he would of endorsed it and put his name on one like Rachel ray, Martha, Emeril, Raichlen, etc.
I have my Misto pump up sprayer for spritzing vegs or protein . A glass bottle with a wine sprout for a few swirls round the pan.

The problem is when those so and so’s get their name on it they will be fifty bucks.
Totally agree with the MISTO! Excellent tool and I have a SS bottle with a speed pourer and that actually works just fine.
It’s really more curiosity than need.

The problem is when those so and so’s get their name on it they will be fifty bucks.
Totally agree with the MISTO! Excellent tool and I have a SS bottle with a speed pourer and that actually works just fine.
It’s really more curiosity than need.
Yea, most of the celebrity cook endorsed stuff is garbage.
I remember when Martha came out with her garlic peeler and a SS spoon to remove the garlic smell from your hands.
Seriously what peep's pay monies for.:rolleyes:

I love reading things from Jacques Pèpin, he was so clear about how “Kids don’t want to learn how to clean leeks, they want to be “Star Chef” so the basic are being handled by the “Corps de Plongeurs” (dishwashers) who barely make a living wage.
I’m disappointed in the “Big Celebrity Chefs” that fail to acknowledge the Herculean efforts made by the poor rookies who can be fired because of a minor error.
Without the dishwashers, bus staff, trash movers, fancy joints would be totally up the spout!
Props to Danny Meyer for equalizing some of that in his restaurants, shared total cut of the “no tipping” Cheque given its +20% included charge. Yes it sounds like a lot but, some folks are barely getting by.
Frightengly moreso in light of the current shut down environment!
Sorry, that turned into more a soapbox than I’d intended.

The really good ones were the Goldenrod brand used in the oil field. To find one NIB would be very difficult and very expensive but, way cool! Still, they are garage art, not kitchen art.

Yep, I looked at that a while ago, not frightfully expensive but, I’m not sure just how clean one might get it before using it for food, I’ll just keep on using my Misto and the speed pourer in stainless, they are paid for! No need to replace things that are not broken!
Just had a furnace guy come to look at that, I smelled something very odd last night and it was stronger when the furnace fired. He looked it over pretty closely and found nothing wrong and his parting words were “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” This company is really good about that kind of thing. It was still $140 but, I know that won’t be what kills me in my sleep!

Back