Does anyone here NOT use a charcoal smoker??

CHill

TVWBB Member
Just curious if anyone here uses a pellet (Traeger, GMG) or electric smoker (like a cookshack) in addition to their Weber products??? I was just wondering how anything else compared to the WSM. I've seen threads on other boards asking similar question, but almost always people don't have alot of experience with the WSM and definitely not as experienced as those here.

-Clint

The PBC is a charcoal smoker; I have one and use it regularly along with my WSM's. I do have a Charbroil electric smoker, too. That was my first smoker purchase 1.5 years ago and one month later I began buying some Weber smokers and kettles. I very rarely use the electric now but I'm not saying it's horrible for limited use. But I am hooked on charcoal now.

Pellet and Electric smokers (assuming you get a descent one) are easy to use for novices and give very consistent results. I think they are good for people who want to smoke but, aren't into the science of doing it with a stick burner or charcoal.

Pellet and Electric smokers can turn out some really Smoked meats and other things however, the smoke flavor is generally more subdued so spices, rubs and, marinades have a bigger impact on flavor. A good smoke with charcoal or sticks can give you a lot more smoke flavor and different types of flavors if that is what you are after.

My daughter has a Traeger pellet pooper and loves it. They entertain a lot and it's great for them as it's basically a set it and forget it process and lets them spend time with their guests and it does a decent job. Although if you're looking for a heavier smoke flavor you won't get it.

I have an electric Masterbuilt smoker. I only use it when I'm making summer sausage because it's got the racks so I can get a good amount in there and keep the temp steady with the electronic controls. But that's the ONLY thing I use it for. It's the WSM all the way for everything else.

I have a GMG and I do like it, but I prefer smoking on my WSM. In the past I have had a Masterbuilt Electric Smoker and Brinkmann Cimarron offset barrel smoker. I think I am done buying smokers now. I don't see any reason to buy anything else. I have made all of the mods that I want to on my WSM so now I can enjoy my smoker.

I have a Little Chief electric smoker. Haven't used it in a few years, but am not about to let it go.
I've used it to make chipotles. Did a good job. Later this fall, I plan on smoking some cheese in it.
I think it's best for smoking fish (however, never done that). Might belly-up and cold-smoke some bacon with it.

I also have an OKJ Highland stick burner (yeah.. it's a cheapo offset). Should use it more. It produces the cleanest smoke-flavored meat of any cooker I own.

When it's all said & done... gotta love the WSMs & they are my go-to smokers/cookers. They do a great job, easy to use & are so versatile.

My best friend has a Traeger he picked up at Costco a couple of years ago. He likes it a lot, as he's got three kids and wanted a "set it and forget it" smoker. He's gotten quite good at cranking out briskets and pork butts that impress his friends. His only (slight) regret is not having bought the next size up in the line.

I would like to get my hands on a Pellet smoker for about a week or so and see what kind of results I can get compared to my WSM, but I don't think I want to drop $700 just to "try" it out lol. Thanks for all the replies!!

Back