Do you name your grills?

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
So I never named a gas grill in my life, but when I brought home my first smoker, a Brinkman style, my oldest daughter started calling it, the most common name to call a vertical Smoker... R2D2. Then when I got my 14 WSM during the first cook my youngest daughter said it looked like an alien pod from a bad CW show her and her sister like to watch called Roswell. The name has stuck. So when I brought my Kettle home I told my son who was really into star wars at that exact moment he needed to give it a good sci-fi name to keep the theme going, and while he tried to decide my wife said it looks like it's from Batteries Not Include. Batteries Not Include is a weird 80's sci-fi movie with flying saucers in it that my wife and I both loved as kids. Anyways that name has also stuck. The whole family knows these names and will ask if I am cooking on Roswell or Batteries Not Included. When she (yes she, my 11 year old sold it, I did not) sold the Brinkman smoker, she made sure we told the new owner it's name.
Am I the crazy guy over here who names his grills, or are you in the crazy camp with me?

My grill collection is somewhat rotating, but I have been calling my 26" kettle "Black Betty". My crimson performer I call "Ole Red" and my C&B green performer I call "Greenie".

Not very creative, but after owning them a little longer maybe new names will come!

We call our 22 year old gen 2000 "greenie" because of it's green lid, the E320 " brownie" because of the brown lid. The Camp Chef is "CC", the Weber gas powered kettle is "the chicken cooker" that's all that's ever been cooked on it. Of course the skyline is the "skyline" We called our former WSM the "SOB" because I was always chasing temps with it.

My gasser is nameless. Wife named the WSM the Cajun Bandit.

Since she was perplexed about what I could possibly be buying that would come in a box from a guy named Cajun Bandit in Alabama.

So now when any new box shows up at the house, wife says "um, something else for the Cajun Bandit I assume?"

I will remember that one if I ever get a 22 WSM I will have to remember that as it fits the sci-fi theme I got going on.

I should give my wife the credit. I bought the grill and after it got delivered I waited to put it together after she went to bed. I left it right there in front of the fireplace.

IMG_20190603_004901906.jpg

So the next morning she came into the living room and literally stopped... Looked at me and says, "are we going to the moon?"

And, moon lander it was. Lol

I should give my wife the credit. I bought the grill and after it got delivered I waited to put it together after she went to bed. I left it right there in front of the fireplace.

View attachment 9559

So the next morning she came into the living room and literally stopped... Looked at me and says, "are we going to the moon?"

And, moon lander it was. Lol
The 22 is so big. I was just laughing out load when I read your post so the kids asked what was so funny so I read them your post and they were laughing with me.

My grill collection is somewhat rotating, but I have been calling my 26" kettle "Black Betty". My crimson performer I call "Ole Red" and my C&B green performer I call "Greenie".

Not very creative, but after owning them a little longer maybe new names will come!
Wow OH Black Betty

Whoa, Black Betty (Bam-ba-Lam)
Whoa, Black Betty (Bam-ba-Lam)
Black Betty had a child (Bam-ba-Lam)
The damn thing gone wild (Bam-ba-Lam)
Everytime I would go to grill I would be singing the Ram Jam song.

I flipped a 22 WSM not long ago, after cleaning it, I literally was able to put both my 2 and 4 year old girls inside at the same time with the grates removed, haha. Thing is massive. I don't smoke near enough to keep one that big.

Back