Do we need a chimney?

Kevin, what a very nice, sweet thing to say. I really needed that. THANK YOU !!!!!!! :love:

Any first cooks? I can't wait to see what you and DH produce!
Hi Michael, did you catch this on another thread? It was the first on the NEW grill.

but, if you check all the other recipe threads, you will see a lot of really good stuff DH has been cooking over the years on our GAS grill. lol
(check the pork thread in a little while for the second cook on the NEW grill)

Last edited:
Hi Michael, did you catch this on another thread? It was the first on the NEW grill.

but, if you check all the other recipe threads, you will see a lot of really good stuff DH has been cooking over the years on our GAS grill. lol
(check the pork thread in a little while for the second cook on the NEW grill)
OK, but I want to see you and that pretty grill in the photo gallery forum some time in the future also!!! After diving in real heavy into homemade kettle pizza over the summer I have backed off it. I need to get back into it, it just feels like a warm weather cook to me.
How do you guys like charcoal?

Michael, cooking with charcoal is not new to us. You are forgetting where we live. lol The only thing new is the Weber grill.

DH grew up in N.Y. and he says he used to go out and sweep off the snow on his charcoal grill and cooked year round. The only thing new to him is using a chimney. lol

Question here, please. I use copy paper to print out recipes. Then when I cut them out, I have all different sizes of scrap paper. Save most of it for a lot of other things. My question is, the paper I don't save and use, can I save it for DH to use in the chimney?

Joan, try it, you're not out much of anything if it doesn't work.

I would expect it to light a little harder than newsprint. I use the very basic newsprint, none of the advertising printed on coated paper or the like, and sometimes it still fails to catch.

Thanks JK, DH is saving that adver. stuff you mention and I thought my paper would be better and safer to use. But I wanted to find out here first from you all if it was ok to use.

If you store your paper outside (like in the garage) and it's humid out, it is hard to light and stay lit.

Hi Tim, I don't know where DH keeps his papers, but mine are here safe and dry in my office. I'll have to ask him. He's outside, busy flushing the car? lol

I see no reason scrap printer paper would not be just fine, I’ve gone to paper grocery bags. Use what is right there! Charcoal bags work well just separate the liner and the outer skin before lighting. They just light more easily.

Joan, I agree with Tim the paper should not matter but obviously you have paper ash flying everywhere when you pick up the chimney to dump your coals so you have to be mindful of that. I have a performer so I use the gas assist but if I did not I would use the Weber Cubes.

Thanks, the ash, I guess that is what I was worried about, but didn't know it. lol
The other thing is do not put that chimney when lighting it on a concrete driveway or surface that you care about there is a thread laying around here might be a picture Chris had of what happened to a driveway when lighting it up and placing it on the surface. Not a pretty sight when I used paper I had a piece of flagstone I would put it on then dump your coals put it back on the flagstone to let it cool.

Edit: Just wanted to add I built a table out of a Silver B which has a piece of granite on it so I let my chimney cool on the granite so I don't use the flagstone anymore. The granite was from an old cooler so if it discolors which it does not seem to do no worries.

Joan, office printer/copy paper has clay and other additives in it to help the ink and toner adhere better, not bleed and keep it from curling. Not sure it would hurt to use it but that is why it is harder to light, especially if it gets damp. The clay causes it to produce more ash as well.

The other thing is do not put that chimney when lighting it on a concrete driveway or surface that you care about there is a thread laying around here might be a picture Chris had of what happened to a driveway when lighting it up and placing it on the surface.
I'm so glad I saw that pic on here before I started with my WSM. We have a nice stamped concrete patio, and I would have surely exploded a divot in it had I not seen that.

As for the chimney starters, I stick to Weber brand. My neighbor had another brand that I borrowed when I needed an extra, and it was remarkable with it side-by-side with my Weber to see how slowly the charcoal in his got ready. The competitor did not let in enough air.

Back