Digital Thermometer Recommendation

JRAiona

TVWBB Gold Member
I'm considering Purchasing a new digital thermometer. I have heard a lot of reviews on the Maverick 733. I have also been looking at the Bluetherm by Thermoworks. I definitely want one with a remote display unit. Is anyone familiar with the Bluetherm and if so what are your thoughts?

I have both (not really the 733 but the 732). Work great both, but Maverik has remot unit control and Bluetherm has IOS app. About range, Maverik works much better round corners and through walls

I have the 73 and the 733 and both have worked great. I have had the 73 for about 7 years and the 733 for a year and cant complain and the price is right.

I have the 732 and it's 2 years old and still on the original batteries and works perfect. I can be anywhere in the house and get a good signal from the transmitter in the backyard.

I have had excellent results with the Maverick 732. I've had mine several years. I have no problems getting a signal all over my house and yard. I have had to replace the probes a couple of times. I now have the "hybrid" probes (you can use the probe for either a meat probe or a smoker probe).

It sure helps to take the drudgery out of maintaining smoker temps. I wouldn't be without mine.

FWIW
Dale53

I use a Maverick 732 it's a great tool to get accurate grate temps, with the remote and alarm settings the only time I go out to the smoker is to adjust a vent or wrap meat. I've smoked every football Saturday this year, put the remote on the coffee table, drink beer, watch college football and monitor my cooker temps all from the couch. I've been using the Maverick going on 3 years now with no issues, if it died on me, I'd have no reservations about getting another one.

Last edited:
I cook overnight quite often and like the iGrill2. The app plots a line graph of temperature vs time on an iPhone/iPad, so I can get up in the morning ad see just how the pit and meat temps moved overnight. It can handle up to 4 probes, so if you are loading up the cooker with several hunks of meat or want to monitor breast and thigh on a turkey, you can do so easily. I've had it a little over a year and it has been reliable and accurate. Not cheap, but it's a quality piece.

I have used a Maverick 732 for the past couple years and while it works great, it seems the probes are rather flimsy. It could me, but I think they should last longer than mine have. At any rate, my beloved hubster surprised me with a ThermoWorks ThermaQ for my B-day. He got me the kit with the armored food probe and I really like that it looks all but bulletproof (I did have to make the probe slot on my WSM a bit wider). I've used it a few times and so far I'm favorably impressed. The unit is pricey, but so far I'm very happy with it. Unlike the Maverick, this one has no remote feature. That's not a problem for me, but I know others like wireless, so I thought I'd mention it. :)

Last edited:
Had a 73 for years and works great. I doubted the accuracy and checked with boiling water on both probes. They were within 1 and 2 degrees.

Another vote for the ET-732. I have one that's about 2 years old and another about a year old; no problems with either of them that weren't solved by a fresh set of batteries.

Back