De-corned Beef Brisket Point

ChadVKealey

TVWBB Pro
Grabbed a couple of corned beef brisket points for $1.99/lb last week with the intent of de-corning them (soaking/rinsing to cut down the salt content) and then smoking. I started soaking one on Thursday night and changed the water every 12 hours until Saturday night, after which I just left it on a rack in a shallow pan in the fridge. I seasoned with just fresh cracked pepper and granulated garlic, then put on my mini (JJ with CB Extender ring) at 275.

Here it is about 4 hours in (temps actually were closer to 300-325). Right after I took this, I put it into a foil pan (with a rack) and covered tightly with foil.

And this is about 5 hours later. It got a little overdone (IT hit about 210) because we were out at the movies. Anyway, I vented for a few minutes, then wrapped it tightly in foil for a rest in the cooler.

After about an hour's rest, I sliced it:

It wasn't salty at all, but I may have used a little too much pepper. Nice smokiness and literally fall-apart tender. Will be having it with some mashed potatoes for dinner tonight!

WOW!!! Chad that looks awesome. Like the idea of soaking it to get some salt out.

Looks fantastic, great bark. I picked up a couple corn beefs at Costco. One will go in the crockpot for St. Patrick's Day on the 17th, the other will get smoked for Pastrami Sammys

Looks great Chad, really like the bark and like Barb said I'm on a very low sodium diet and really like the soaking idea. We will be going to Costco to get our corn beef think we will pick up a couple extra and give your idea a try.

Good job! Really like the bark. & the price. Will pick up a few of those & do the same.

Thanks for the compliments. Had it for dinner last night and everyone (even the cats) loved it. It was definitely a tad overcooked (had to serve it with a small spatula; trying to pick it up with tongs or a fork just made it crumble) and a little on the dry side, but the flavor was really good. When I cook the other one, I'll pull it a bit sooner, but the 48-hour soak (changing water every 12) will stay the same.

ChuckO,
Which corned beef do you get at Costco? We tried one that wasn't all that great, but I can't remember the name...

I recently did tried the same thing as we could not pass up the sale. We bought ours at Meijers for 1.99. First day I soaked it and replaced the water every 2 hours and then let it go overnight. Ours was not salty but it never got rid of the brining taste but it was weaker than corned beef. We did not like it because it did not taste like smoked brisket and was a weak corned beef but it made a good hash later in the week. Not on our repeat list.

Looks good! I have "de-brined" mine every time too. Our CB is still priced high. If last year was an indicator, they should go on sale for 99 cents/# the day after St. Paddy's day. Then I'll buy 3-4 of them.

How was the movie? :)

I recently did tried the same thing as we could not pass up the sale. We bought ours at Meijers for 1.99. First day I soaked it and replaced the water every 2 hours and then let it go overnight. Ours was not salty but it never got rid of the brining taste but it was weaker than corned beef. We did not like it because it did not taste like smoked brisket and was a weak corned beef but it made a good hash later in the week. Not on our repeat list.

Yeah, you can get rid of the salt, but the curing agent they use (I suspect there was some potassium chloride - aka: salt substitute - in there based on the slight aftertaste) doesn't come out as easily. This was easily the pinkest brisket I've ever made (courtesy of the cure), and while it didn't taste like a standard BBQ brisket, it tasted good. My wife is not a fan of corned beef, but she enjoyed it. The leftovers mixed with mashed potatoes and a little #5 sauce for lunch yesterday made a couple of co-workers jealous.

Looks good! I have "de-brined" mine every time too. Our CB is still priced high. If last year was an indicator, they should go on sale for 99 cents/# the day after St. Paddy's day. Then I'll buy 3-4 of them.

How was the movie? :)

Black Panther was pretty good. In terms of cinematography, it was probably be most beautiful superhero movie I've ever seen. There were some slow spots (as there always are), but overall it was a fun watch. In my list of Marvel films, it's middle of the pack.

Back