Darn phone calls

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Have you been getting these? They start off with " In times of crises, we all stick together." I never listen to the rest, no idea what it is about. But do you call this sticking together when everything, not just food, is costing more and more every day? To me, that is not sticking together, that is taking advantage of a terrible situation, and I think those people should be ashamed of themselves and put on the "Don't ever buy from" list.

If I don't recognize a number I don't pick up.
If it's important they'll leave a voicemail, but my wife told me she had a similar call from our village to ask us to shop local and support the little guy/gals.

Tim

I don't answer, per say, most I ignore, a few I will pick up the phone, cover the mouthpiece and just listen. And that is what I heard this morning.

These days I answer fewer and fewer calls. Some people I know don't even bother to look. They just do not answer.

I don't get annoyed by spammers anymore.

For the cell, I created a ringer called "Silence is Golden". It is three seconds of silence. That is now my default ringer and is for callers that are not in my contact list. Then, for those in my contact list, I assign them an audible ringer (or not, heh). That takes care of the spammers on the cell. They can call but I'll never hear it. They could leave a message but never do.

At home we have a standard phone used as a land line. It is actually Google Voice with an Obi200 thing but it is a real land-line phone, an AT&T CL83207. I've tried a few call blockers for the land line. They can be complicated and tedious, requiring a search through the manual from time-to-time. (What's that code again?). This phone has great call blocking built-in and it is simple to use. An unknown caller gets a canned message that says hit the # key to ring through. Spammers never do. If someone does ring through, their number is stored on the phone. You can scroll through and add them to the "allow" list with a few button pushes. Next time they call, they will ring through directly.

I used to not answer numbers that aren’t in my contact list, but I’ve been known to have fun with it too!
i started getting calls that stated that my social security number had been suspended due to fraudulent activity associated with it!
Really?
I listened to the whole thing the second time they called and was prompted to press 1 to speak to someone.
When they answered, I told them that I was ready for my new SS number so I wouldn’t get deported.
They asked where I heard that.
I told them that that’s what the recording said.
The lady eventually told me that I needed to give her my SS number or she’d have me deported.
She hung up on me when I asked if she worked for the IRS or immigration!

I have gotten rude with some of the people calling.
I signed up for health care through the government website and was looking for work before I got offered my current job.
I still get calls asking about both of those!

Well, my spam phone calls are down to a few a day, but my e-mail spam is growing like crazy. I used to empty it out a few times a day, then I started to let it accumulate for about a week. Now, I deleted it 2 days ago, 464 spams, and it is building back up at least 40 a day. I know there are a lot of people that need jobs, but isn't there something else they can do, besides invade our privacy? We are loosing so much of that. Every time DH and I discuss something, next thing you know, there is an ad for it on my computer. I know someone is listening in, but who? We live next door to a college. Kids are so smart these days, I know they have broken in to my computer. Sorry, enough venting. Thanks for reading.

Have you signed up at nomorobo.com?

For landlines/VOIP bundles with ISP providers this can cut down a lot on spam calls.

I have this with my Spectrum bundle and nomorobo is free. Most calls get one ring then nomorobo kills them.

Some get thru, but like others here have said - if I don't recognize it, I let it go to voicemail. Repeat offenders I block thru Spectrums website. "Apple" kept calling about something I don't even have, so I blocked the number.

I'm old enough now that I'm the grumpy old man who doesn't like the sound of the phone or doorbell ringing. ;)

LOL. I do not own a cell phone, most people have a hard time with that.......and I never answer the home phone either. Just me reading that makes me sound like a jerk.....but I don't care, I don't even know how to check messages now that it has changed, I just wait for the MRS. to come home, she will let me know if there is any concern I should know about.....I stopped answering when it was constant 3rd party B.S. calls.

We're using Nomorobo through Verizon on our landline and it works quite well. For the cell phone, I do the same as many and just ignore any unknown numbers. If it's important, and they actually aren't selling anything or trying to steal my money, they'll leave a message.

Funny, we just got our oldest his first cell phone a few months back. He put on some fake excitement the other day and ran in to tell me that he had just gotten his first spam call. :ROFLMAO: When I asked if he answered it, he said no - the only people that call on his number are family members. Interesting with this generation - they don't actually call each other on their phone numbers - they have apps that they use for calling.

Using the "Silence Unknown Callers" setting in my iPhone has pretty much solved this problem for me.
I didn't know that setting existed; thanks for mentioning it, Chris! I've now got it set on my iPhone as well.

It's one of my contacts if "New Speedway Boogie" by Grateful Dead rings, and it's not a contact if I hear the theme from "The Twilight Zone" (most appropriate!).

It's one of my contacts if "New Speedway Boogie" by Grateful Dead rings, and it's not a contact if I hear the theme from "The Twilight Zone" (most appropriate!).
I have several ringers for different people
Zac Brown "She Got Whatever It Is" is for Pammi
"Pretty Good At Drinking Beer" is for friends and family
An old fashioned phone ring is work
And some weird ringer is for anyone NOT in those groups. Depends on my mood and what I'm doing if I answer it
My work phone is all the old fashioned ringer. I GOTTA answer that one, ya know?

Hello, hello, wait, hurry up, put him in the bag. Can you hold on. I hear the cops. Hurry. We gotta get outta here. Grab the drugs and let's go. Click.

I laugh, and they don't call back. Just make sure it's not your doctor's office first lmbo.

Before I starting using HIYA on my cell phone to screen calls and on my land line, I kind of did what Timothy did. If it was a spammer, I'd say "Hang on a second, someone's at the door" and then just put the phone down. It's funny to hear them yell "HELLO!, HELLO!" after a dew minutes before they hang up.

That's a good one Mark.

I have been having some fun lately with spammers. A few have asked my age and I tell them 113, yes, they hang up quick. lol

Been getting a lot lately wanting to know if we were selling our house. I usually say no and hang up. DH said I should tell them yes, we want a million for it. lol

Back