Cyber Monday - Weber Summit Kamado S6

If they marketed them, they may then be perceived as commonly available. Price and exclusivity go hand in hand. There is also a certain cachet that comes with having "the best", or top of the line, of something (I think you know this).

"Pricing is one of the most powerful tools you can use to create a sense of exclusivity for your products or services. Exclusivity means that your customers perceive your offer as scarce, unique, or desirable, and are willing to pay a premium for it."

Maybe Weber is marketing these grills and I just haven’t seen it.

Probably at yacht clubs, polo matches, the country clubs, etc.

I live in a pretty nice part of New Jersey, have friends and family that like to grill with charcoal, and in the time I have owned this grill have yet to have anyone recognize my grill.

Weird.

Maybe just an anomaly.

Weber must be doing a fine job creating exclusivity and I have missed it.

It is a unique product after all.

Honestly I've never seen one of them in the flesh anywhere. Seen lots of other "higher end" Weber stuff around, SmokeFire, Decked out Genesis, Summits and the like. Never an E6 or S6

Ultimately I think we are splitting hairs on the flame startup variants. lol. 1 minute, 5 minutes, it's not a huge difference in my mind.

I use the chimney with the gas assist start and always have, so it's just a few minutes of gas to get it started. But, the point about the starter being so low is definitely an issue. I think I'm just going to get the second charcoal grate and after my chimney has its 5 minutes on the lower grate, I can put the upper grate in and pour the coals on it. I think that's my personal winning combo.
I think that’s what I’ll end up doing too. I did start some briquettes directly in the lower position for a chuck roast I did the other day, worked fine obviously. I was amazed how rock steady the temps were, never wavered from 250 for 8 hours!

41D0B99C-7C14-4156-AA66-BEB027FCA56B.jpeg

To me it would be a no brainer to get the S6 with the cart and ignitor for the price difference. Its the reason I have a Performer I want the cart and ignitor. If your gonna lay out that kind of cash are you really worried about 300 bucks or whatever as you have already made the decision to go to the high end just seems silly to me.

Better you get it than have buyers regret cause down the road you wished you had the cart and ignitor. Especially the cart.

I grew up with bacon grease in glass jars that is not a thing in my house has not been for 35 years so dipping paper towels in bacon grease to start my charcoal does not work for me. :unsure:
i think you're missing the point on the great doodad. i keep a container of used fats in the fridge and then add a table spoon to a napkin or papertowel, two of them to be exact, and place them under a coal filled chimney. fully lit coals in 10 minutes. i think yall are over-complaining how easy it is to start a chimney for zero added cost. do as you wish but this is not rocket science at all. it's super simple and easy with no deviation from life or special tasks, storage, absurd plans or whatnot.

i think you're missing the point on the great doodad. i keep a container of used fats in the fridge and then add a table spoon to a napkin or papertowel, two of them to be exact, and place them under a coal filled chimney. fully lit coals in 10 minutes. i think yall are over-complaining how easy it is to start a chimney for zero added cost. do as you wish but this is not rocket science at all. it's super simple and easy with no deviation from life or special tasks, storage, absurd plans or whatnot.
I don’t like to store my fat...I prefer it disappear! 😁

Weber must be doing a fine job creating exclusivity and I have missed it.

It is a unique product after all.
I think the lack of advertising has to do with the potential for over-exposing Weber's premium product line. It's a balancing act. At some point, someone is going to say that the S6 or E6 is spendy, pricey, or over-priced, like we all tend to do with Weber's other, more heavily promoted offerings. It's human nature to gripe about how much things cost...far better to rely on word-of-mouth advertising by the people that own and use the product (aka, "the enablers", you know who you are! :D )

The WSK differs from other kamados in that it is more like an insulated kettle than the typical kamado, a kettle done right, if you will. The kettle shape is what started the revolution in backyard grilling back in the 50s, and I am convinced that the kettle shape is responsible for how well a kettle cooks.

A classic example are these "Stanley Cups". They are just plain old thermal mugs with a handle on them and they sell for about $30. But, they are limited runs and have become collectable. People go in and buy them by the dozens and then resell them on Ebay for hundreds of dollars each.
I never understood this phenomenon.

I have the S6/table and love it...I usually have my secondary griddle or mini gas grill on the table in the winter when I move my S6 onto my deck, and in the summer when I do more grilling, it sits further from the house (to avoid smoke into the windows) but then I have more table space for bringing stuff in/out etc.

That said, I removed my igniter completely (never used it after the initial novelty wore off) and cut the stainless steel heat guard up a bit and turned it into an umbrella holder (for raining days) and used the extra space to install a much better shelving system underneath with self closing drawers with full length pull out...what Weber should have done. My only complaint with the S6 was the shelf was a piece of crap.

I follow a number of Weber Summit Kamado groups and a large number of owners do not use the igniter...just saying it "seems" great initially, but is not necessarily for everyone. I have tried every lighting method under the sun and still always go back to lighting my grill with a MAPP torch. I also prefer to use lump vs briquettes too so that may be the difference as well. I can see briquette users getting much more use from it. I can spot light lump charcoal with a short blast of the torch...
You got pictures of your setup? I would like to see it.

Larry, if you have any affinity for a kettle, you would be truly impressed with a WSK. Just playing around with one is a pleasure, but I made sure I took the opportunity to cook with one when I found one to rehab. If my profit on the flip wasn't soo good, I would have probably kept it, and as you know, I am not a coal guy. A kettle is to a WSK what a Rav4 is to a Highlander.

You guys really intrigue me with this WSK talk. I would really like to see one in the flesh
I bought my E6 sight unseen. It’s a 24” kettle with a massive hinged lid and it’s double walled so it holds all its heat.

If thermal insulation means anything, I hot smoked a cured salmon, unintentionally, using just a smoke tube and two cups of pellets. Literally cooked it at around 130-140 WSK inside bowl temperature.

Now I can make cold smoke and hot smoke salmon. One on purpose and one by accidental experiment.

If you like cooking with lump or briqs, there is nothing else that compares. It’s super steady, efficient and cooked perfectly every time.

So is it basically along this line? I know it's not the WSK, just wondering if same principal of operation as I have seen these in person

Larry, I do think it is on that line, and I do think it is based on that concept. I do believe it is a bit wider and shallower however.

Larry, I do think it is on that line, and I do think it is based on that concept. I do believe it is a bit wider and shallower however.
Well maybe one day I will actually see one. One thing is for sure. I can't drop a half ton or more of George Washingtons on something I have never seen or have no clue on. If like you I find a deal on a used one I will definitely give it very serious consideration. Is there any way for live embers to leave the kettle on one of those? It looks like on that one I linked there could be a way for live embers to escape. Which means it would definitely NOT be an "on the wood deck" grill.

I bought a 70th anniversary Kettle from Weber at full price. I loved the look and the color and this was my first intro into charcoal cooking. I live in Calgary where it is currently minus 30 lol. Anyways, to me my Napoleon grill has served me will but compared to the Kettle it reminds me of vinyl vs streaming/cd. One is a love and sounds better and the other is a lot more convenient. If I could get the deals that you Americans get on the E/S 6 I'd have one by now but up here it's strictly full price. I plan to have an E6 soon; this is a great hobby

So is it basically along this line? I know it's not the WSK, just wondering if same principal of operation as I have seen these in person

Kamado Kamado. They all behave somewhat differently. The WSK has a rapid vent that allows you to up temps real fast. And you can burp it and dial down temps real fast too. All from my experiences.

I don’t believe other Kamados can respond as quickly, either up or down in temps.

All cars may have 4 wheels. All cars do not behave the same. That’s what I can say about the WSK. Green eggs are very slow to respond and if you overshoot, you’re kinda screwed.

The WSK has a lot more range and control is how I’d define it’s characteristics.

Back