Cyber Monday - Weber Summit Kamado S6

I would think it would likely be easier, simple AND cheaper to simply find out why your Smokefire is not functioning correctly. There are WAY too many people having way too good of results to simply "give up" I am sure there is a simple solution. After all they are simple machines.

If I were to buy a WSK I would prefer an ignition option without the cart.
I have the S6/table and love it...I usually have my secondary griddle or mini gas grill on the table in the winter when I move my S6 onto my deck, and in the summer when I do more grilling, it sits further from the house (to avoid smoke into the windows) but then I have more table space for bringing stuff in/out etc.

That said, I removed my igniter completely (never used it after the initial novelty wore off) and cut the stainless steel heat guard up a bit and turned it into an umbrella holder (for raining days) and used the extra space to install a much better shelving system underneath with self closing drawers with full length pull out...what Weber should have done. My only complaint with the S6 was the shelf was a piece of crap.

I follow a number of Weber Summit Kamado groups and a large number of owners do not use the igniter...just saying it "seems" great initially, but is not necessarily for everyone. I have tried every lighting method under the sun and still always go back to lighting my grill with a MAPP torch. I also prefer to use lump vs briquettes too so that may be the difference as well. I can see briquette users getting much more use from it. I can spot light lump charcoal with a short blast of the torch...

I have been using my gas assist starter with my Performer for about 10 years and I'll be using my gas assist starter on my WSK for as long as I can.

Not using the gas assist is kind of unfathomable to me. Lol To each his own, but the act of having to get another method to light my coals on a grill that literally has a gas starter is the equivalent of using a washboard to do my laundry while having a washing machine and dryer in the house.

Turn on the gas starter for about 5 minutes, turn it off, let them burn for another 10 minutes or so and it's good to go. I don't have to get any firestarters or paper towels with oil on them, or hold a blow torch into the coals. It's an upgrade for a reason. Just saying. Lol

I would think it would likely be easier, simple AND cheaper to simply find out why your Smokefire is not functioning correctly. There are WAY too many people having way too good of results to simply "give up" I am sure there is a simple solution. After all they are simple machines.
Who let this guy in?

(Just kidding)

I have been using my gas assist starter with my Performer for about 10 years and I'll be using my gas assist starter on my WSK for as long as I can.

Yeah, I experimented with briquettes for a while where those longer lighting methods are required. Found the igniter was just an updated version of the chimney. No thanks...once you go lump, you give up the washboard and your "washing machine" lighting methods, and go straight to having someone do your laundry for you! Lol...just saying. If I used 5 minutes of the igniter on lump charcoal, my kamado would be at 700 degrees. Hit a small spot for 20 seconds with the torch and done...set the vents and walk away.

Funny how people that came from the kettle community stick with their habits using the WSK, and folks that came from other kamados keep to what worked with theirs...

Last edited:
Yeah, I experimented with briquettes for a while where those longer lighting methods are required. Found the igniter was just an updated version of the chimney. No thanks...once you go lump, you give up the washboard and your "washing machine" lighting methods, and go straight to having someone do your laundry for you! Lol...just saying. If I used 5 minutes of the igniter on lump charcoal, my kamado would be at 700 degrees. Hit a small spot for 20 seconds with the torch and done...set the vents and walk away.

Funny how people that came from the kettle community stick with their habits using the WSK, and folks that came from other kamados keep to what worked with theirs...
Forgive me since I'm just an old kettle guy, but why wouldn't you just use the gas assist for 20 seconds just like you do with the torch? The gas assist is just a propane torch attached to the kettle. Lol

Forgive me since I'm just an old kettle guy, but why wouldn't you just use the gas assist for 20 seconds just like you do with the torch? The gas assist is just a propane torch attached to the kettle. Lol
I can’t speak for other but I mostly use the top coal grate position with CBs to hold my lump. The gas assist is too low down for me to use it and not have to play grate origami. I own two coal grates so I only need to remove the upper one when doing a LAS cook with the deflector plate or when I use swords for larger cuts if grilled meat (picanha, or a sworded tri tip).

For me, I don’t want to have to buy or fill propane tanks. But to each their own. I’m lazy.

I can’t speak for other but I mostly use the top coal grate position with CBs to hold my lump. The gas assist is too low down for me to use it and not have to play grate origami. I own two coal grates so I only need to remove the upper one when doing a LAS cook with the deflector plate or when I use swords for larger cuts if grilled meat (picanha, or a sworded tri tip).

For me, I don’t want to have to buy or fill propane tanks. But to each their own. I’m lazy.
That is completely reasonable. I also don't like the small propane bottles so I got a 5lb bottle to use just like the performer so that I don't have to fill it as much. But, I like the idea of a second charcoal grate.

I can’t speak for other but I mostly use the top coal. The gas assist is too low down for me to use it and not have to play grate origami.
The first thing I noticed during assembly was how far away the gas tube is from the upper coal grate. My first thought was, that’s not gonna work well. I’m disappointed because I love the gas assist on my Performer. I guess I’ll find out when I try it.

The first thing I noticed during assembly was how far away the gas tube is from the upper coal grate. My first thought was, that’s not gonna work well. I’m disappointed because I love the gas assist on my Performer. I guess I’ll find out when I try it.
LMK how your experiment goes. I just didn't try as I didn't want to be married to small gas cans and refills. I'm lazy like that. It's just easy with any fats I have on hand to use in a paper towel. I keep a small container for used paper towels and am ready to light fire pretty quickly.

No, not even close really. A MAPP torch using an inexpensive propane tank (I don't waste the extra $$ on MAPP gas - not needed) is over 3000 degrees or something. I can spot light one piece of lump very quickly - 20 seconds. If I want a hotter fire, I can hit up a second spot, or a third in roughly 1 minute total.

The gas assist on the WSK is a very "wide" softer flame (and much lower temperature). 20 seconds of the gas igniter does not light anything. You need at least 3-4 minutes or longer to get the charcoal burning. It is basically designed to replace a chimney where you light a lot of briquettes all at once - basically old school weber.

As @Brett-EDH mentioned, I also primarily use the upper charcoal grate with a home made SnS setup so I can direct sear and indirect roast and the gas igniter would not hit it either.

Last edited:
No, not even close really. A MAPP torch using an inexpensive propane tank (I don't waste the extra $$ on MAPP gas - not needed) is over 3000 degrees or something. I can spot light one piece of lump very quickly - 20 seconds. If I want a hotter fire, I can hit up a second spot, or a third in roughly 1 minute total.

The gas assist on the WSK is a very "wide" softer flame (and much lower temperature). 20 seconds of the gas igniter does not light anything. You need at least 3-4 minutes or longer to get the charcoal burning. It is basically designed to replace a chimney where you light a lot of briquettes all at once - basically old school weber.

As @Brett-EDH mentioned, I also primarily use the upper charcoal grate with a home made SnS setup so I can direct sear and indirect roast and the gas igniter would not hit it either.
Ultimately I think we are splitting hairs on the flame startup variants. lol. 1 minute, 5 minutes, it's not a huge difference in my mind.

I use the chimney with the gas assist start and always have, so it's just a few minutes of gas to get it started. But, the point about the starter being so low is definitely an issue. I think I'm just going to get the second charcoal grate and after my chimney has its 5 minutes on the lower grate, I can put the upper grate in and pour the coals on it. I think that's my personal winning combo.

I really liked the idea of using the gas assist on my WSK but I also typically use the upper grate position for most cooks. It just doesn't get hot (or flame height) enough to light a chimney. It only seems to be decent for the lower grate position. Having never had a performer, I didn't have anything to compare it too but this design just doesn't make sense. I've let it go for 15 minutes and can't even get warm coals in a chimney in the upper grate.

When I picked up that WSK a couple years ago to rehab, I did one cook on it just to say I had cooked on one before I rehabbed it. I did some wings. But, I did use the gas assist and all I did was pile some briquettes above the burner on the coal grate, light it with a push of the button and several minutes later, I came back, spread out the coals a bit and got down to cooking some wings. Seemed to work just fine for me. I am not normally a coal burner and can't say I have ever even used a chimney.

Ultimately I think we are splitting hairs on the flame startup variants. lol. 1 minute, 5 minutes, it's not a huge difference in my mind.

I use the chimney with the gas assist start and always have, so it's just a few minutes of gas to get it started. But, the point about the starter being so low is definitely an issue. I think I'm just going to get the second charcoal grate and after my chimney has its 5 minutes on the lower grate, I can put the upper grate in and pour the coals on it. I think that's my personal winning combo.
Iirc there was someone here, maybe a few, who use the performer to light the chimmey. Or the side burner...

Back