Curb Alert !!!

Notice that one not only has metal bowl handles but also a metal lid handle. That goes back a long ways. Back then using a kettle meant never being far from a mitt!

I probably should be doing my chores… this was less than a mile from me and on the curb and free which is about the maximum effort I will put in for a grill. I don’t subscribe to Facebook but I could see where the grill was from the post.

The lid was in good shape and cleaned up to a grade A-. The previous owner left a pot on the top which left a ring.

The frame is shot. The 8006 panel sun bleached.

The firebox is good and the big drip pan is in good shape. Good manifold and valves.

I was short a lid so this helps out. The rest is a bonus.

Here are some pictures of the lid before and work in progress

Attachments

• IMG_0340.jpeg
    IMG_0340.jpeg
    297.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0339.jpeg
    IMG_0339.jpeg
    338.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0342.jpeg
    IMG_0342.jpeg
    262.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0343.jpeg
    IMG_0343.jpeg
    334.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0344.jpeg
    IMG_0344.jpeg
    223 KB · Views: 16
I probably should be doing my chores… this was less than a mile from me and on the curb and free which is about the maximum effort I will put in for a grill. I don’t subscribe to Facebook but I could see where the grill was from the post.

The lid was in good shape and cleaned up to a grade A-. The previous owner left a pot on the top which left a ring.

The frame is shot. The 8006 panel sun bleached.

The firebox is good and the big drip pan is in good shape. Good manifold and valves.

I was short a lid so this helps out. The rest is a bonus.

Here are some pictures of the lid before and work in progress
If you can salvage the upper frame it would be good as it looks like a Genesis 1 frame with the right side extension with that little basket. Were you able to get that ring on the lid off completely? It looks great otherwise.

If you can salvage the upper frame it would be good as it looks like a Genesis 1 frame with the right side extension with that little basket. Were you able to get that ring on the lid off completely? It looks great otherwise.

It does have a basket on the right hand side. The legs that have pads not casters have leg rot.

The ring is noticeable in the glare of light. I have seen all sorts of items left on lids that have left an outline.

This is not bad.

What’s the build date range on a Genesis 1?

1985-1992
Thanks for the date info. I didn’t realize the grill was that old. No readable label or documentation.

I am going to disassemble the grill and sort out the parts to see if anything can be reused. To restore this grill would be a lot of labor and about $300 to $500 for the correct parts for a grill that might fetch $300 in my market on a good day. I could get it running for about $50 with the risk of modifying too much from the original design.

The lid came out good and will go on a yard grill for now.

Firebox has the finger screws holding the manifold. Valves need a full restore. Upper frame is good. Lower frame is missing parts or has serious rot issues. 8006 panel is functional but shot aesthetically.

Here’s some photos

Attachments

• IMG_0345.jpeg
    IMG_0345.jpeg
    380.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0352.jpeg
    IMG_0352.jpeg
    422.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0351.jpeg
    IMG_0351.jpeg
    291.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0350.jpeg
    IMG_0350.jpeg
    272.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0349.jpeg
    IMG_0349.jpeg
    361.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0348.jpeg
    IMG_0348.jpeg
    416.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0347.jpeg
    IMG_0347.jpeg
    286.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0346.jpeg
    IMG_0346.jpeg
    399.1 KB · Views: 14
I feel bad that I'm too lazy today to go grab this....
Looks like it needs a set of grates, but still would be a nice score.

View attachment 99508
So.... I had no intention of picking this grill up..... BUT, I was able to finally sell my Spirit/SilverA yesterday and offered to deliver it --- it just so happened that this grill was right on the way home and I had my trailer --- so I grabbed it.

The pics didn't show just how clapped out the grill was --- broken table - broken caster - dented lid and bowl - bent handle - gas assist tube rotted...... But what the pics didn't show was the heavy SS GBS grate --- that looked completely trashed and rusted...... I got home and pulled out the drill and wire wheel right away just to see if it was salvageable - and to my great surprise it looks like the crust will come right off!

20240907_184804.jpg

It will take quite a bit more time, but it should clean up really nice!

So --- a good heavy grate, a half a 1# bottle of propane, a good thermometer and ~10# of charcoal ---- not that bad, but I would have been pissed if I had gone down there just for it. Now I just need to break down the grill and hope I can get the lid and bowl into the recycle bin. The frame is still good --- I'm gonna feel bad about cutting that up.....

I also learned that if someone offers you $20 to deliver the grill ---- NEVER say '$10 will cover the gas' ....... TAKE the $20!!!!! A 20 mile round trip ended up taking me a good 2..5 hours with all the traffic --- and on a hot and sticky day to boot..... Picking up the grill only added maybe 15-20 minutes.

Last edited:
I am going to disassemble the grill and sort out the parts to see if anything can be reused. To restore this grill would be a lot of labor and about $300 to $500 for the correct parts for a grill that might fetch $300 in my market on a good day. I could get it running for about $50 with the risk of modifying too much from the original design
Absolutely do with it what you will, but I can't see spending anywhere near even $300 on parts for an old Genesis. There just aren't enough parts left to even buy. Another old Genesis 1000, some paint, and yes a lot of labor should get the job done if you're so inclined.

Back