Curb Alert !!!

They only made that grill for two years, go grab it. It's an absolute steal at $40. It's a 2001-2002 Genesis Platinum C.

LOL... I was just curious, it is 400 miles away from me. It looked quite unique, and that's why I asked. Thanks!

Besides, yesterday I made a 514 mile journey (round-trip) in 11 hours, to pick up a Platinum C with stainless steel frame.

LOL... I was just curious, it is 400 miles away from me. It looked quite unique, and that's why I asked. Thanks!

Besides, yesterday I made a 514 mile journey (round-trip) in 11 hours, to pick up a Platinum C with stainless steel frame.
Well, you're definitely welcome for the info. Making that drive for any grill makes you way more hardcore than I am for sure. Those pop up near me pretty regularly thankfully. I hope you are going to do a restoration thread on that one!

Well, you're definitely welcome for the info. Making that drive for any grill makes you way more hardcore than I am for sure. Those pop up near me pretty regularly thankfully. I hope you are going to do a restoration thread on that one!

I'll post a thread with some pics when I get a chance. As Bruce mentioned a week or two ago, some of us do not live anywhere near a metro area, so the pickings are very few and far between. I'm lucky if anything is within a 3 hour drive (one way). i.e. It has taken me almost a month to find something within a reasonable distance (day-trip). I'm in the far northeastern corner of Michigan, so Lansing/Detroit is a 5 hour drive, one way. It is my first 'acquisition'. :)

Last edited:
I'll post a thread with some pics when I get a chance. As Bruce mentioned a week or two ago, some of us do not live anywhere near a metro area, so the pickings are very few and far between. I'm lucky if anything is within a 3 hour drive (one way). i.e. It has taken me almost a month to find something within a reasonable distance (day-trip). I'm in the far northeastern corner of Michigan, so Lansing/Detroit is a 5 hour drive, one way.
Trust me, I get it. All I'm saying is that after that ordeal you should at least do a a dedicated thread to whatever your plan is for that grill. We all like to share in the fun.

Trust me, I get it. All I'm saying is that after that ordeal you should at least do a a dedicated thread to whatever your plan is for that grill. We all like to share in the fun.

Oh absolutely! I'm just recuperating a bit, probably won't ever drive that far again for one... next time I'll take the trailer and grab 2 or 3. LOL

Here's a teaser of what I picked up. There is virtually no rust in the pan, previous owner treated it early. Sides and rear are perfect, no rust.

It does have the 'dropsies' (as Bruce refers to it), but I think that's to be expected in most cases. Price was $110.

01212_l8Qs4W6HMva_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

Last edited:
Oh absolutely! I'm just recuperating a bit, probably won't ever drive that far again for one... next time I'll take the trailer and grab 2 or 3. LOL
Take your time, but it is a lot more fun to do a thread on a grill project than it is to just post a few "after" pictures of it. Plus you get the benefit of everybody's experience and advice along the way. Those stainless steel Platinum grills are really cool so lets see it from start to finish.

Here's a teaser of what I picked up. There is virtually no rust in the pan, previous owner treated it early. Sides and rear are perfect, no rust.

It does have the 'dropsies' (as Bruce refers to it), but I think that's to be expected in most cases. Price was $110.

View attachment 94450

That is a nice one to pop your cherry! Something you can be pretty proud of... my first time was with a dirty little red head lol

I have picked up 5 or 6 of them and that one looks to be in better condition than any of them. All the ones I have ever picked up, all had full on holes rusted out in the bottom pan. Most had 1/4 or more of the bottom pan rusted out. Good thing is, since the frame is all stainless, once you remove the floor and sides, there is nothing left to rust.

I have picked up 5 or 6 of them and that one looks to be in better condition than any of them. All the ones I have ever picked up, all had full on holes rusted out in the bottom pan. Most had 1/4 or more of the bottom pan rusted out. Good thing is, since the frame is all stainless, once you remove the floor and sides, there is nothing left to rust.

Well Bruce, ever since I contacted you via Craigslist about one of your grills, I've been searching... and thanks to all your pics and insights, I was able to filter out what to look for and what to avoid, so you played a big part in finding this one. :)

I found it via Craigslist, searching a radius of 300 miles. Over the past few weeks I had inquired about 4 or 5 grills on FB Marketplace, but none of the sellers ever responded. That had been my prior experience with FBM. I tried it again after seeing posts here (curb alert), but I find that CL is much more reliable for asking questions and getting a response. FBM has a lot more listings, but the seller response rate is very low, IMO.

Well Bruce, ever since I contacted you via Craigslist about one of your grills, I've been searching... and thanks to all your pics and insights, I was able to filter out what to look for and what to avoid, so you played a big part in finding this one. :)

I found it via Craigslist, searching a radius of 300 miles. Over the past few weeks I had inquired about 4 or 5 grills on FB Marketplace, but none of the sellers ever responded. That had been my prior experience with FBM. I tried it again after seeing posts here (curb alert), but I find that CL is much more reliable for asking questions and getting a response. FBM has a lot more listings, but the seller response rate is very low, IMO.

I have had the opposite, and maybe it is due to my location? I have reached out on probably 10-15 CL ads, with zero replies to them. But I haven't given up on it. Never know when you will get a response and find that gem!

I have had the opposite, and maybe it is due to my location? I have reached out on probably 10-15 CL ads, with zero replies to them. But I haven't given up on it. Never know when you will get a response and find that gem!

Yes, I think rural vs urban does impact response rates on those two particular platforms (CL vs FBM). Likewise, Offerup is focused on metro areas. I had better luck with FBM and Offerup/Letgo when I was in Phoenix & Tucson.

Offer up has been my best source by far with CL and FB being fairly similar. My biggest surprise was a small local neighborhood page. Nextdoor nabor app. I put a free ad in there looking for dirty old used Weber BBQs free or cheap for restoration projects. I got a Message same day from a lady with a decent 1000 stored in her garage. Some people that have these just want to see them go to a good home. I talked to a guy online yesterday who lives in Michigan. He has a old Weber with slats and asked me if I knew anyone that would want it for restoration project. He didn't want to see it go to waste. I'm still waiting for pictures from him.
Some areas are definitely a lot better than others. I have way better luck in Washington around Seattle then I do in Arizona around Phoenix

Back