Curb Alert !!!

I agree that while I think the concept is great, the actual build on the Grill Out Handle Light was below standards. I won't bash them for not using LED's in the design, since these things were built back in the 80's/90s. But they are not very sturday. I put a new in box one on my Frankengrill and it only lasted 2-3 years before it started to fail structurally. I hope Weber learned from these when designing the new grills with built in handle lights.

I agree that while I think the concept is great, the actual build on the Grill Out Handle Light was below standards. I won't bash them for not using LED's in the design, since these things were built back in the 80's/90s. But they are not very sturday. I put a new in box one on my Frankengrill and it only lasted 2-3 years before it started to fail structurally. I hope Weber learned from these when designing the new grills with built in handle lights.
Yeah, I think that is probably the useful life of one of those handles. Besides style, the one other nice thing about them is that they move the back of your hand further away from a hot lid compared to the straight handles. The later Silver grills addressed this problem by putting a curve in the handle.

I have several of these handle lights in boxes, and I plan to use one on my current project, a keeper. I figure I can keep it going with my parts bin until I am tired of it.

I had to bail out my friend in Florida who bought my Skyline after his handle light cracked in places. He also didn't even realize it was a light, and the unchanged corroded batteries did in one half of his original one.

Kinda the point I got to Jon. Mine has been failing for a couple years. It is still functional and usable, but just feels like junk when I grab it these days with a crack forming near one of the lights. I wish it was a bit more robust. I think I have another one in a box somewhere as well. I may offer that up on the buy/sell section.

But, I would not hesitate to put one on a museum piece. They do look cool.

So I happened across a 2 burner, 2002 Silver A for free. I was under the impression that these were mostly the same as a silver B aside from the lids. I am looking at this, and it seems the cook box is mostly the same aside from only being a 2 burner. The lid is a Gray mica lid (dirty) but in great shape.

I only grabbed it for the frame, wheels and table, the grease tray and drip pan. However the hole in the bottom of the cook box looked smaller to me, as well as the grease tray looking smaller. Am I crazy? I have been known to be...

*edit, didn't intend to post this in curb alert, but since it was a curb find, I suppose it is in a semi-accurate spot

Last edited:
So I happened across a 2 burner, 2002 Silver A for free. I was under the impression that these were mostly the same as a silver B aside from the lids. I am looking at this, and it seems the cook box is mostly the same aside from only being a 2 burner. The lid is a Gray mica lid (dirty) but in great shape.

I only grabbed it for the frame, wheels and table, the grease tray and drip pan. However the hole in the bottom of the cook box looked smaller to me, as well as the grease tray looking smaller. Am I crazy? I have been known to be..
I don’t think any structural part on an early two burner will interchange with a three burner, except for the Genesis Junior with the x000s

I only grabbed it for the frame, wheels and table, the grease tray and drip pan. However the hole in the bottom of the cook box looked smaller to me, as well as the grease tray looking smaller. Am I crazy? I have been known to be...
Silver A’s are nice grills. They are smaller than B’s and C’s. Most parts are not interchangeable. Just knobs, wheels, tank scale, regulator hose assembly and fasteners are common.

There is not a big market for Silver A’s.

Silver A’s are nice grills. They are smaller than B’s and C’s. Most parts are not interchangeable. Just knobs, wheels, tank scale, regulator hose assembly and fasteners are common.

There is not a big market for Silver A’s.

At one point this spring (I am going to check my pics to see again if I am crazy), I picked one up that was a 3 burner. It had durawood table and only had one of the wire basket bottoms with the single middle mounted crossbar, but had the shorter lid. I swear that the SN decoded to a Spirit, but I saw someone mention they thought the shorter lid never came in a 3 burner variety. I would think a short lid on three burners would fetch some meltdown level heat...

Last edited:
At one point this spring (I am going to check my pics to see again if I am crazy), I picked one up that was a 3 burner. It had durawood table and one of the wire basket bottom, but had the shorter lid. I swear that the SN decoded to a Spirit, but I saw someone mention they thought the shorter lid never came in a 3 burner variety. I would think a short lid on three burners would fetch some meltdown level heat...
There was a 3-burner very early Spirit, I believe, that featured a lower hood and some other cost savers. It was meant to be an entry-level Weber.

At one point this spring (I am going to check my pics to see again if I am crazy), I picked one up that was a 3 burner. It had durawood table and one of the wire basket bottom, but had the shorter lid. I swear that the SN decoded to a Spirit, but I saw someone mention they thought the shorter lid never came in a 3 burner variety. I would think a short lid on three burners would fetch some meltdown level heat...
That sounds like a Spirit 700 3 burner. It’s the same size lid and firebox as a Genesis B/C

I know for a fact it had a short lid because I set it next to a 1000 lid and it a noticeably shorter hence why I was bummed because it was maroon. Here’s the two pics I have of it. It was a 98 because I wrote it on the manifold with paint marker. But it’s the same size as the 1000 setting it on and next to the manifold from the 1000. It was pretty much junk aside from the grease tray, manifold, upper frame pieces and tank scale (pointer type). This is the one it turns out to be Hank was looking for the manifold support (which I still have)

Attachments

• IMG_7605.jpeg
    IMG_7605.jpeg
    308.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7606.jpeg
    IMG_7606.jpeg
    394 KB · Views: 9

Back