CSS = chuck steak stew

Brian Dahl

TVWBB Gold Member
I know, I've been on a stew bender recently, but it is so nice to set it and forget it! I picked up a package of chuck steaks the other day from the dog food bin, froze the thickest one for a future project, and broke down the remaining two. Shown here dusted with S & P & garlic & onion powders

the first course of veggies

browning meat, sauteing the vegetables, bullion and red wine at the ready. Nope, the beer was for me!

the second course: parsnip top left and turnip on the right, along with my ah-ha moment. The red is a half a can of Chipolte in adobo sauce, left over from...? As you'll see, it added a nice color and piquant flavor (today's $5.00 word :))

about an hour and some change in, before adding round two

and after. The reason I divided the veggies up is: on these long braises, most of the vegetables cook down to nothing. I want something to bite on in my stew!

An hour later: what's that rising up through the mist?

In my best Christopher Kimball voice: "Perfect, bite size pieces of tender beef. Identifiable vegetable pieces with a great Umami from the red wine and mushrooms. Very nice flavor from the fresh herbs and the adobo sauce, with just a little heat. A sprinkle of Parmigiano-Reggiano and fresh parsley is the perfect finish. Nice work, Grasshopper."

Yeah, what he said! Thanks for stopping by and I'll see you around the fire.

Wonderful looking stew Brian. Perfect for this time of year, especially up your way. Photos are excellent. Love that plate shot, er.. I guess it would be a bowl shot!

That's the way to make a great stew Brian, looks terrific. Barb and I make a lot of stews, casseroles and chilies this time of the year. Mostly inside where it's warm though.

You nailed that cook. It looks so good you've inspired me to do my first venison stew on the grill this weekend, rather than the usual slow-cooker method.

Terrific stew cook and pics Brian!
This photo made my heart skip a beat!

25205531475_a5ca770b4d_c.jpg

Back