Crispy Skin Berkshire Pork Chops

Jerome D.

TVWBB All-Star
If you prefer lean pork chops, these pictures probably aren't for you. However, if pork fat is your friend, then I hope you enjoy viewing these local Berkshire "mohawk chops" I got from my favorite butcher shop in the area. My belly greatly enjoyed these chops, my cholesterol level...not so much.

Here are the uncooked chops, seasoned with kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper. The thick outer layer of skin & fat was nicely scored by the butcher.

Started off by roasting the chops with indirect heat to render some of the fat. A small chunk of pecan wood provided some smoke. I crisped the skin by gripping opposite ends of the chop with two sets of tongs and holding it in the air, skin side down over the hot coals, almost like an upside-down broiler. Getting the skin to turn into crispy crackling was a delicate balancing act of getting the chop close enough to the coals in order to blister the skin and pulling the chop away whenever flareups occurred.

Some plated closeups of the chops. There were a few areas of the skin which were still chewy, but most of it turned out crispy, so overall I was happy with the results of the cook.

Jerome, those look right-on! I love crispy pork fat. Scoring the fat is the key.

A tip for crispy pork fat if you don't mind. Score the fat, then rub in salt and let it sweat for 1 hr. This draws out a lot of moisture. Then dry off the fat and give it a light rub with olive oil. Makes the best crackling……..ever!

They look fantastic. Its not bad to treat yourself to a little extra fat once in a while.

Once in a while is ok and they do look great. Just don't plan on going to see the doctor soon after eating that !!:eek:

That looks delicious Jerome. What Barb said about the doctor is spot on. But it is worth it for great pork.

Back