Crab-Stuffed Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp & Grilled Mussels

Chad M.

TVWBB Super Fan
Did this for the current Throwdown but thought I'd also post it here for everyone. Started with some 16 count shrimp, made a crab stuffing and wrapped them in homemade bacon. Finished them off with a basil cream sauce, and then did some grilled mussels with chorizo.

The shrimp ingredients:

IMG_1322_zps9d2592d2.jpg

Butterflied the shrimp and filled with crab stuffing (lump crab, scallions, green pepper, cracker crumbs, mustard, mayo, egg, lemon juice, parsley):

IMG_1325_zpsca0d136a.jpg

Wrapped in bacon:

IMG_1326_zpsfb8b2ac1.jpg

On the Performer at 270-300 degrees with a little pecan wood:

IMG_1328_zps680b67d1.jpg

Pulled after about 45 minutes and into the oven to keep warm:

IMG_1332_zps87b6d1cf.jpg

Ingredients for grilled mussels (mussels, grilled chorizo sausage, shallots, white wine, butter, heavy cream, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic):

IMG_1331_zps77ed0141.jpg

Brought everything but the mussels and sausage to a low boil over direct heat, then added mussels and sausage:

IMG_1334_zps86f8464a.jpg

Covered for 7 or 8 minutes until the mussels opened up:

IMG_1335_zps141fcdd3.jpg

While the shrimp were cooking and before I started the mussels, I made a basil (pesto) cream sauce and drizzled it over the shrimp:

IMG_1336_zpsa174e351.jpg

Here's the full meal (just for scale, that plate is over 12" in diameter) with rice, bread, and a Schlafly Pale Ale:

IMG_1337_zpsbd5468cf.jpg

Everything turned out fantastic, and no I did not eat all of it. Finished just in time to watch my beloved Jayhawks win the Big 12 Championship. Today was a good day. Hope everyone enjoys the post.

Last edited:
Chad you don't play around... Everything looks terrific. Plated pic looks delicious.

Wow that looks and sounds good. It never ceases to amaze me how creative the recipes are on this site. Top it off with cooking over fire outside and the majic is complete.

Back