Costco Tri Tip

JimK

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Haven't grilled much of note lately, but my Picanha and Tri Tip finds at Costco got me back in the mood. Mixed up a batch of Santa Maria rub and got the TT's seasoned and vac sealed. One went into the freezer for another time and the other into sous vide at 128F. These were each about 2.5 lbs. Finished it off over some Wegman's lump with a chunk of mesquite (no oak on hand :oops:). While the TT was swimming, I roasted some garlic. Made some pasta tossed w/ the roasted garlic and lots of Parm and fresh cracked pepper. Simple Caesar to finish it off. I hope Costco starts carrying these on the regular. They weren't cheap ($10.99/lb), but they are sure better than the $15.99 that Wegman's wants.

1652615222382.jpeg

1652615238284.jpeg

tempImagegd5uiU.jpg

tempImage3DBzVb.jpg

tempImage0kTG5U.jpg

Jim,
Every one of those photos are gorgeous. Great cook and plate. I want some of the your prefect cooked Tri Tip, but I also want some of your roaster garlic pasta and I love a simple cesar salad with both a steak and with pasta, so yeah, I want a plate. I may have to try to recreate your plate next weekend with the Tri Tip I have in the freezer. Any portions/more details to help me try to recreate your pasta?

Any portions/more details to help me try to recreate your pasta?

Hmm. No, I was winging it as the steak rested. IIRC, it was four cloves of the roasted garlic. A 'bunch' of black pepper and more parmesan than you think you need. Then a healthy dose of olive oil to bring it all together.

Looks perfectly cooked, nice job. Is that a chimmichuri sauce on top ?

Yep. Using the recipe @Bruno shared a while back. I didn't have the red chili pepper, so added some red pepper flakes in substitution.

Yep. Using the recipe @Bruno shared a while back. I didn't have the red chili pepper, so added some red pepper flakes in substitution.

Awesome!! I love that chimichurri on tri-tip. I couldn’t find a red pepper last time so we use a jalapeño, it was great too.

First time i have seen tri-tip. Last week Costco. 799 marinaded. Tried to explain to gf the significance. She said sure. But then willed me into the wilderness.
Next time.
Question: the majority of "people" in my house like beef well done. How can I cook this?

First time i have seen tri-tip. Last week Costco. 799 marinaded. Tried to explain to gf the significance. She said sure. But then willed me into the wilderness.
Next time.
Question: the majority of "people" in my house like beef well done. How can I cook this?
Beauty of tri-tip is the ends tend to be more done than the middle, take the middle to 140-145 and you’ll hopefully have some nice mediums and medium well.

Not well done. :ROFLMAO:

When my wife and I started dating, she was strictly a medium well filet eater only. But now she enjoys a medium and sometimes medium-rare steak and eats not only filet, but flank, flat iron, skirt, tri-tip and some others. Sous vide helped that tremendously - especially once she mentally got over the color. It helps to make even what appears 'under cooked' to have a more done-like texture. Also, like Bruno said, the TT will have some 'more cooked' portions. People may venture into other parts if they're hungry. ;)

Last edited:
Haven't grilled much of note lately, but my Picanha and Tri Tip finds at Costco got me back in the mood. Mixed up a batch of Santa Maria rub and got the TT's seasoned and vac sealed. One went into the freezer for another time and the other into sous vide at 128F. These were each about 2.5 lbs. Finished it off over some Wegman's lump with a chunk of mesquite (no oak on hand :oops:). While the TT was swimming, I roasted some garlic. Made some pasta tossed w/ the roasted garlic and lots of Parm and fresh cracked pepper. Simple Caesar to finish it off. I hope Costco starts carrying these on the regular. They weren't cheap ($10.99/lb), but they are sure better than the $15.99 that Wegman's wants.
You've inspired me. In the freezer we have a tri-tip from our last side of beef; I think I'll put that on the schedule for the next week. Been too long since we've cooked one.

That does look fabulous! Nothing like the tri-tip I tried to grill recently for my daughter and grandsons. They kept insisting that it tasted great, but personally it was really good for shoe leather. Been a long time since I've had a bad cook like that and it was part of the inspiration for me recently to buy a used (near new) 14.5 WSM. Sure hope our Costco brings in some of that tri-tip. You wouldn't believe what I paid for mine at a "specialty" butcher (part of a gift card purchase).

Since coming back to VWB a few days ago, I keep stumbling on these amazing beef cooks. Do you suppose I'm being guided?

I was back at Costco today and the TT's were still there - and $1/lb cheaper than when I bought!

None in the case here this morning! No prime packer briskets either! Good thing, I still walked out almost $300 lighter! Sheesh!
Yeah, we're 30 miles away. It's hard not to get what catches your eye when you know you may not get back for a while. Especially items you're been looking for that haven't been in stock. And some of that meat, fowl and seafood is so attractive!

Back