Costco Short Rib Cook

JPowers

TVWBB Fan
I tried cooking short ribs one other time with some less than stellar results.
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?63709-Beef-ribs

My wife was just discharged yesterday from the hospital for surgery and I took off the week to care for her. She was doing well, and since I planned to be home all day, I decided to make a quick run to Costco to see what they had. I thought about a brisket or pork butt, but since her appetite is still pretty poor and my brother and his family (to whom I usually give my extra food) were going to Disney, I didn't want a large volume of meat. I came across this beauty and felt I was ready for redemption.

They were cheaper than what I paid on my first attempt and they were Prime!!! I took them home and opened up the Cryovac bag. It contained
2 four bone slabs. I repackaged one set and put them in the freezer for a later date.

Membrane removed

Beautiful marbling will put any doubt that this was the real Prime McCoy.

Rubbed with a little Mayo and SYD Hot

Filled up the basket with some KBB and 3 chunks of Hickory and 2 of Pecan. Started with MM, and waited an hour until getting TBS. Cooked at 275.

Wrapped after 3 hours with some brown sugar and Mango Nectar (Harry Soo recipe).

Cooked in foil for about an hour and then finished off bare adding a little au jus/molasses sauce. Coated with a very light coat of Montgomery Inn BBQ after pulling off the grill

Let rest for 15 minutes then sliced.

Plated pic.

They were incredible!!! Tender and very moist. Can't wait to do them again. The previous attempt was done with some poor quality beef. They were even marked as soup bones, but in my arrogance I thought I could polish that turd with a little help from the old WSM. It just goes to show you that there is no replacement for a quality product.

Last edited:
Great looking cook. Hope your wife is feeling better and enjoyed those fine looking ribs.

I'll be looking for those on my next CostCo run.....have never seen them around here before, but Chris' post that briskets are showing up in the South Bay have me thinking positive thoughts! :)

Nice job on those ribs, they look perfect!

Rich

Those ribs look great!! I thought I was getting a bargan at Fred Meyers at $4.99 lb. have to look at Costco next time I go.

Those are fantastic looking ribs, you did awesome. Wishing your wife a speedy recover and with food like that it will be soon I'm sure.

Man, those ribs look amazing. Have never seen them at Costco before. Have they always been at your store? My costco only has the boneless short ribs in strips for like $8 a pound.

First things first, hope your wife has a speedy recovery. This is truly an amazing post. Those short ribs look succulent! Outstanding cook!

Thanks for all the compliments everyone! I just had a good feeling about this cook. That's why I broke out the Nikon versus my iPhone with a dull lens cover from the waterproof case. Wanted a couple more on smoker shots, but the the brutal heat and humidity kept me inside during most of the cooks. My lens kept fogging up when I would go outside from the comfort of my recliner in the AC. The maverick is worth its weight in gold!

Man, those ribs look amazing. Have never seen them at Costco before. Have they always been at your store? My costco only has the boneless short ribs in strips for like $8 a pound.

Andy, this is the first time I've seen the slab short ribs at my Costco. Usually I just see the cut (Flanken) style ribs. I hope they keep carrying them!

Andy, this is the first time I've seen the slab short ribs at my Costco. Usually I just see the cut (Flanken) style ribs. I hope they keep carrying them!

Yeah, I checked my local Costco Saturday and they only had the Flanken Style boneless ribs. Will keep my eyes open. Hope they start to carry them too.

Back