Costco brisket

George P

TVWBB Member
I was at a Costco in Toronto today and they were loading up some briskets. The voice in my head said " mmm brisket". My wife wanted homemade burgers. Quick peak at price, brisket was $4.54/lb, lean hamburger was...$4.08. You better believe were having brisket. I found a nice even 18.5 lbs baby. Can't wait till tomorrow! What are you paying for brisket?

$4.54/lb that means the cooked cost will be over $9.00/lb. really expensive piece of beef. The cost of the ground beef may seem high but if it is 93 to 97 % lean the cost will be close to $4.40/lb. You can buy twice the weight of the brisket of the ground beef and still be ahead.

Dan, it seems like you are comparing price per pound of cooked brisket ($9/lb) to raw hamburger ($4.4/lb). They don't taste the same. Apples to oranges, or I'm missing something?

Thanks

50% of the brisket is fat and water
you end up with about half the wt after cooking

A good price is $3/lb nowdays
Thank the pellet poopers for driving up popularity

I have to think twice about paying more than 3.5 a pound

I see some places trying to sell a select brisket for 6 or $7 a pound. Completely ridiculous.

Dan, it seems like you are comparing price per pound of cooked brisket ($9/lb) to raw hamburger ($4.4/lb). They don't taste the same. Apples to oranges, or I'm missing something?

Thanks
I did not say hamburger, I said 97% ground beef. All I said was by losing 50% of the weight the meat became very expensive and since he apparently was going to grind the brisket into burgers, 97% ground beef would make twice the amount at a cheaper cost. There is a big difference between ground beef and hamburger!!

To me the point is that ground beef will always be ground beef and never compare taste wise with a good brisket. In these times we deserve the occasional treat.

ok guys. My point was that I will always choose brisket over burgers, which is what my wife wanted. Also wondered how much everyone else is paying.

ok guys. My point was that I will always choose brisket over burgers, which is what my wife wanted. Also wondered how much everyone else is paying.
I would have grabbed the brisket. It’s $6.99 to $8.99 at my local grocery and rarely available. There is a meat market near me that has it for sale now and then.

3.99/lb at my local Costco. I'll usually get one a month when I see a nice one. What the people must think of the weirdo groping all the briskets in the case.

Some nice USDA Prime CAB briskets at my Costco yesterday, in a wide variety of weights. Unusual to see CAB at Costco, the USDA Prime they normally sell comes from Tyson and is the same product as Chairman's Reserve prime brisket. Had a chance to meet Ozlem Worpel, senior brand manager for Tyson Fresh Meats, at The Guinea Pig barbecue contest in Coachella in January. She told me about Costco prime brisket being the same as Chairman's Reserve prime brisket, just not labeled as such.

Picked up a choice at albertsons..$2.69/lb

Wasn't my first choice........no pun intended .... Costco did not have any at all I was kind of pissed.
Poorly trimmed. I trimmed an inordinate amount of fat off it

I freeze the trimmings from my brisket to make burgers. Best of both worlds. A good food processor will grind the meat to a pretty decent hamburger consistency.

Last edited:
Some nice USDA Prime CAB briskets at my Costco yesterday, in a wide variety of weights. Unusual to see CAB at Costco, the USDA Prime they normally sell comes from Tyson and is the same product as Chairman's Reserve prime brisket. Had a chance to meet Ozlem Worpel, senior brand manager for Tyson Fresh Meats, at The Guinea Pig barbecue contest in Coachella in January. She told me about Costco prime brisket being the same as Chairman's Reserve prime brisket, just not labeled as such.
How can you tell which one it is?

Back