Coronavirus - Covid 19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it remotely possible that this virus (maybe a milder strain) has been with us all along, and we are just now finding it out due to improved / frequent testing? I have been sick for over a month now with a mild bronchitis-like ailment that I can't seem to get rid of. The rest of the family is fine though.

The pollen season started early this year, so maybe that is part of the problem.

It's fine to take what the head Chinese medical expert says with a grain of salt. But as with everything in this pandemic, information and best practices seem to evolve. I'm betting that as masks become more available, the messaging from public health officials will evolve to suggest that wearing a mask in public helps protect others from your spittle and it's a good practice to wear one when out in public.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that anyone go out right now and buy masks and deprive our doctors and nurses of needed supplies. I've got a lightly used N95 mask left over from when I deployed with Operation BBQ Relief during the 2017 NorCal fires that I will wear the next time I go to Costco.

Is it remotely possible that this virus (maybe a milder strain) has been with us all along...
It's my understanding that a novel coronavirus is one that resides in animals and finally makes the leap to humans, thus it is novel (new) to us. It could have been in animals for years, decades, centuries, who knows? So in that sense it's been "with us" for perhaps a long time. But I doubt it's been "in us" very long. This sucker is so infectious and multiplies so quickly, I doubt it's been running around in humans at some low level "all along".

Remember, I'm not a doctor, but I play one on a barbecue forum. :oops:

Right now, I'm with you that seasonal allergies are messing with a lot of us, and those symptoms mimic some of those of a cold or flu.

Salt is a really good thing, by the grain with regard to lots of “know it all” folks. Either medical, financial or pretty much anything. Gather data, listen to more than any one source and learn for one’s self!
Anything to keep spittle from me to someone or someone to me if even remotely is a reasonable step in my opinion. Not going to Costco until the vodka is gone, just opened one so, half an hour?:unsure::ROFLMAO:

Does that include surgical masks? The kind that have ear loops? I wore one of them mowing grass recently, and pollen went right through that thing. I had a splitting headache hours later. I truly believe western NC is the sneeze capital of the USA. 🤧
Surgical masks are typically N95 according to him. I am unsure what the differences are as I have never laid eyes on one (N95) and honestly don't care to go looking. He explained it all to me in his highly technical medical terminology and I could feel my eyes glazing over and turning up inside my head. So I am just the messenger here. According to him, if it ain't an N95 don't bother because it's worse than none at all. I'm not the expert just the messenger :D

Warning, highly technical terminology... N95 filters out 95% of .3 micron particles, they also make N99, and N100's, not that you can get any of them these days. I use 100's as an asthmatic that has the wrong hobby, woodworking. I gave the few I had to my daughter last week for use in the ICU.

Right now, I'm with you that seasonal allergies are messing with a lot of us, and those symptoms mimic some of those of a cold or flu.
And with so many staying at home, you also have to factor in indoor air quality. It's been over 2 years since I had my ducts vac cleaned.
You'd be surprised on the amount of dust/gunk they pull out.

Tim

And with so many staying at home, you also have to factor in indoor air quality. It's been over 2 years since I had my ducts vac cleaned.
You'd be surprised on the amount of dust/gunk they pull out.

Tim
Yeah I had to open one of my return ducts to run some CAT6 cable through and it was pretty frightening

Don’t tell me about duct cleaning, I have been terrible about it, I’m a couple of years behind schedule! Color me EMBARRASSED!

Don’t tell me about duct cleaning, I have been terrible about it, I’m a couple of years behind schedule! Color me EMBARRASSED!
Yea, tell me about it. First time I did mine I was shocked, couldn't believe the amount of crap they sucked out!
Now just let me say that I'm not promoting cleaning your ducts to kill the Coronavirus ( I read that's a new scam)
Just saying that the symptoms mirrors others and it helps if you have a cleaner environment.

Tim

Y'all clean your ducts?

I've read some of the corona detail in Wiki and was surprised to read the first known case was documented on November 17; I thought it was discovered during the last few days of December. And to the point of this being new and evolving best practices: we live and learn and the most intellectual folks among us are not exempt from that. Yet somewhere down the road there will be some frivolous, unmerited lawsuit tied to an unintended contamination or death.

Heck I recall them reporting on it in October. I am sure my daughter had it a couple months ago. She had bad cough, headaches, difficulty to breathe fever, chills, every symptom. She went to Dr and they tested and said "respiratory infection non discriminate". My friend had it as well (the retired dr). He's a cancer survivor and had to fly down to MD Anderson in Houston for his checkup in January. A couple weeks after returning he ends up in emergency room, breathing difficulty, severe headache, sore throat, fever and so on. Again they test and report not flu and again "non discriminate respiratory infection". My daughter works in retail and my buddy of course flew down to Houston and back. Put 2 and 2 together and you get Corona I am sure. And both in January BTW. One a not so healthy 68 yo and the other a healthy 29 yo

Last edited:
Interesting. Wiki is the only source where I've read of the November 17 date; so far in my brief search, all other sources are reporting late December from Wuhan. But I recognize that's trivial now and our biggest hope is a significant downward trend very soon. Unfortunately, it may happen later.

Y'all may have seen this by now, but I thought I would post it for those who haven't...

DURHAM, N.C. – Facing a critical shortage of N95 face masks that block the coronavirus, Duke Health research and clinical teams have confirmed a way to use existing vaporized hydrogen peroxide methods to decontaminate the masks so they can be reused.

I was entertaining the idea of spraying a whole (N-95) mask in Lysol. (poor man's decontamination method :unsure:)

Last edited:
Surgical masks are typically N95 according to him. I am unsure what the differences are as I have never laid eyes on one (N95) and honestly don't care to go looking. He explained it all to me in his highly technical medical terminology and I could feel my eyes glazing over and turning up inside my head. So I am just the messenger here. According to him, if it ain't an N95 don't bother because it's worse than none at all. I'm not the expert just the messenger :D

These were picked up in doctor's office sometime back, and I saved them in a Ziploc bag. Nothing is imprinted on the masks, and I was thinking they are comparable to a 3M dust mask?

EDIT: They are much like these...

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B085TKNZSY/tvwb-20

They are not very thick like an N-95 mask is.

Last edited:

https://www.axios.com/authors/newsdesk

A plane from Shanghai arrived at John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York Sunday morning carrying an extraordinary load: 12 million gloves, 130,000 N95 masks, 1.7 million surgical masks, 50,000 gowns, 130,000 hand sanitizer units, and 36,000 thermometers.
Why it matters: The flight is the start of what might end up being the largest government-led airlift of emergency medical supplies into the United States.
  • <snip>
What's next: Polowczyk told Axios that he's already booked 22 similar flights over the next two weeks.
  • Starting with this weekend's airlift, he said, "We have essentially a flight a day, mostly from Asia" to expedite the transport of medical equipment that distributors already plan to sell into the U.S.
  • "This first one is kind of a proof of concept," he said. Distributors "can generate product. We can get an airplane there, and as we build muscle memory with these distributors, these numbers will grow."
<snip>
  • Under normal circumstances, the distributor would have put these supplies on a ship, which would have taken 37 days, Polowczyk said.
  • FEMA is expediting this process — chartering flights from around the world to move the equipment to the U.S. in a day.

Does that include surgical masks? The kind that have ear loops? I wore one of them mowing grass recently, and pollen went right through that thing. I had a splitting headache hours later. I truly believe western NC is the sneeze capital of the USA. 🤧
I worked in the OR of a large hospital for 34 years. The masks with ear loops are not allowed in the OR. They were only permitted for non sterile procedures.
We were fit tested for N95 masks annually. They don’t work for everyone. We wore N95 masks when a patient had an airborne disease.
Most masks worn in the OR are for patient protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back