Coppa

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
Just got a new project started (well, it actually started about 8 days ago with the curing process.....) I separated the coppa muscle from a couple of Costco butts, and cured them with salt, cure #2 and some spices (clove, bay, pepper) for 8 days. I removed them from the cure today, rinsed, coated with paprika then stuffed into beef bungs (the bungs were an experience......slippery, "fragrant", and a bit of a pain to deal with.) They are now hanging in my curing chamber (small wine fridge using a controller to control temp/humidity (I've got a seedling heat mat for heat, a dehumidifier, and a container with salt and distilled water.) We'll see how this goes over the next 8-12 weeks that it will take to get to 35-40% weight loss.

Ready for cure:

IMG_7401.jpeg

Cured, stuffed, and hung:

IMG_7442.jpeg

Next time I do this (or when I do lonzino, bresaola, etc.), I think I will try to use collagen sheets instead of bungs. They look easier to handle, less mess and "fragrance", etc.

I'll post updates.....

R

Last edited:
Update: We're on Day 6, and have good mold growth going. White mold is not necessarily traditional for coppa, but I don't have the best humidity control yet, so I'm hoping that the mold will help to regulate the rate of drying so I don't end up with the dreaded case hardening. Only 7-11 weeks to go! :)

IMG_7461.jpeg

I'm excited to see the finished product! Total noob question, but I thought cure#2 was used for hanging, air dried meats?

I'm excited to see the finished product! Total noob question, but I thought cure#2 was used for hanging, air dried meats?
...and you are correct! It was a typo (which I have now corrected.) :)

I'm excited, too, but due to a lack of patience, I need to get some smaller diameter stuff ready to hang so I have something to sample sooner. :) Making some spanish chorizo this weekend that should fit the bill nicely. :)

R

IMG_7503.JPG

2 weeks in, and the mold coverage is 100% on the Coppa. Smells exactly like a salami casing would smell. The smaller one has lost 15% weight and the larger one has lost 10%. I added in some Chorizo friends (my first go at fermented sausage) last week, and had to wipe the mold off of them with vinegar today since I'd prefer that it not be present on those.

Still not sure if I'm making dry cured meats or fodder for the compost bin, but time will tell..... :)

R

Hey Rich - Picked up some coppa from a local Italian deli that made me think of your project. Sooo good.
I hope mine looks like that whenever I get to cut into it, Steve!! :)

I've reached the "dirty socks" phase that I've read is normal with dry curing meats. My office smells like I have teenage boys who dropped their socks in my office after running a marathon! ;) I'll suffer through.....

R

I am jealous of all of you folks with a decent deli in reasonable distance. If I want something good, I have a two hour drive each way to get something GOOD! Aside from that, I have only a deli counter in grocery store.

I am jealous of all of you folks with a decent deli in reasonable distance. If I want something good, I have a two hour drive each way to get something GOOD! Aside from that, I have only a deli counter in grocery store.
If I don't kill myself off, Timothy, and it turns out well, you can consider making your own! :)

R

I've reached the "dirty socks" phase that I've read is normal with dry curing meats. My office smells like I have teenage boys who dropped their socks in my office after running a marathon! ;) I'll suffer through.....
I've heard that the best place to cure coppa is in a small hut or shelter that's near the beach.

Day 21 for the coppa since I put it in the drying chamber. The pieces have lost 17% and 18% of their weight, with a target weight loss of 40%. It's going to be a while, as I expect the rate of drying to slow down. The chorizo that are riding along have lost 26% and 29% weight (stuffed in smaller hog casings, so faster drying expected), and they are darkening up a bit.

Day 21:

IMG_7522.JPG

Not only is today Christmas (merry, merry!), but it's also meat weighing day (Meatmas?) Since this is my coppa thread, we'll focus on that.....I think I'll only update the Lomo thread when I'm done (less boring). Anyway, the Coppa are doing their thing, and are down to 20% and 22%. I can feel a difference in the firmness, though they are still definitely squeezable! In my completely amateur opinion, I'd guess these have 8 weeks to go. Here's the tray of meats:

IMG_7547.JPG

Last edited:
Am I the only one checking in on this thread like a kid waiting on a new episode to come out?? :D
Great thread Rich. Thank you for taking the time to post.

Back