Cooking pulled pork in advance: to shred or not to shred?

Efrem Pozzati

Hi guys, I'm going to cook an 11lb pulled pork to be eaten this saturday and I'm going to do it in advance due to logistics (the party location is 300km away from my home).
Now I have to choose the way to re-heat it:
option 1: shred it at home, vacuum seal it, and re-heat with sous vide at the party location (safe option for me)
option 2: vacuum seal it the whole shulder, re-heat it at the pary location in oven, shred it there (most scenographic for the people)

I'm quite confident of the result by doing the option 1 (I always do this way for leftovers, with great result), but I'm not sure what to do for option 2.
I often use option 2 for brisket, is there any particulary advice for pork shulder?
What temp I have to target in re-heating?
Is it safe?
Do you have any suggestion?

Thanks in advance and stay safe!

Efrem.

Option 1 would be my choice, mainly because it already works for you. Plus it'll be easier to reheat and the flavors will be more even throughout it.

I used option 1 for my Grandson's wedding. 165° F internal temp. is the reheat temp. Both ways are safe as long as you keep it cold in transit and heat it up to 165 to destroy any bacteria (minimal) that may have formed. I had the pork in a Sous Vide bath at 165° F for 2 hours and made sure to press the bags of pork down to less than 2 inches thick to ensure thorough heating. Hope that's clear and helps.

Option 1 is reliable.

You can give your diners a bit of the scenographic effect by shooting an iPhone video of you pulling the pork, making sure to say things like, "Oh man, I wish you could be here to smell this delicious hunk of meat." Then send the video to your friends before you head out to the party.

Jeff

Option 1 has always worked for me. Truthfully I ALWAYS smoke way more food than I'll need and vac seal and the freeze the rest. I usually have between 5-10 1lb packages of pulled pork in the freezer.

Back