Cooking a Brisket Properly when Point and Flat Cooking Times Differ...

JeffB

TVWBB Pro
I read a lot of posts on here that tell is like it is: "The meat is done when it's done." "Cook until probe tender." "Internal temps do not matter, what matters is whether or not the meat passes the probe test." "The probe should pass through the meat like a hot nail through butter."

But what do you do, for example, if your flat is very lean and the point is very fatty? Separate the 2 muscles and cook each until done? What are the other options? The last brisket I cooked I undercooked because the point seemed to pass the probe test, but the flat was not there yet. Out of concern for overcooking the point, I pulled the whole thing early. It was edible but not thrilling.

Do you run the risk of overcooking your point if you leave the whole brisket on while the flat comes to temp?

Do you just ignore the point since it will by definition have more fat in it and more easily pass the probe test than the flat?

I don't know. Just throwing questions at the wall to see what will stick I suppose....

Thanks for reading.

Jeff...

Your selection, "Do you just ignore the point since it will by definition have more fat in it and more easily pass the probe test than the flat?", is what I'd go with.

some people cook until one if tender. remove the whole brisket and separate the point from the flat and continue cooking the point. I normally go off the flat being done.

Jeff...

Your selection, "Do you just ignore the point since it will by definition have more fat in it and more easily pass the probe test than the flat?", is what I'd go with.

This. Also, due to the difference in texture and fat content, the "window" for the point is much, much larger. That's why you can just ignore it and concentrate on the flat.

I judge the flat, then separate, put the point back on, over a low direct flame, crisp the surface, cube, add to sauce and make burnt ends.

Really need to do a brisket this fall...if prices come down a little. It's been so brutally expensive I haven't allowed myself one all season.

A point will probe done well before all the fat is rendered. By happy accident, a point is usually nicely rendered at about the same time that the flat probes tender. When the flat is done, you can slice the point down the middle to see if it's done. If done it will have lots of gaps in the grain of the meat. If it's "softly solid" with visible fat lines, it's not done yet. At that juncture, you have the option to slice it for those who like it fatty, or put all or some of the point back on for burnt ends.

This is great info. I spoke with a meat person, at Costco, about briskets. He informed me they only sell flats or at least in the Tampa location. He said it's not worth buying a full packer briskets as there is too much waste with all the fat in the point.

I am new to smoking and I just wanted to get other people's thoughts on this. I was under the assumption that it's hard to smoke a flat as it can dry out too easily.

Thanks

In my opinion, you're closer to right than the Costco guy. Yes, the point is fatty, but that adds moisture to the flat. On top of that, my burnt ends are usually the most popular part of my brisket cooks...even when the flat is perfect!

Sliced fatty brisket is life changing. Don't let anyone tell you different. Like people said above, the point is way more forgiving just get the flat done and the point will be fine. Its HARD to overcook a point. I've done it before but it typically you have enough fat that you won't render it all out. If for some reason you aren't as big a fan of the fat then you can always separate the point and make burnt ends. Can you cook them separately? Of course. I'm not sure I buy into the fact having the point there adds any moisture to the flat. If you just really love lean brisket then removing the point will get you more crust surface and more lean slices.

OP Here. Let me add to this discussion. First, thanks for all the responses. This indeed is quickly turning into a great thread! :cool:

My buddy who owns a new and successful BBQ joint in South Austin tells me that he buys only prime packer briskets and will never buy a choice brisket. He claims the choice packers are "less forgiving" (whatever that means) and are more difficult to cook. Does a prime packer tend to have less fat in the point?

To be honest, there was SO MUCH FAT in the point from my last brisket (choice packer I picked up for about $2.25 per lb in a large local grocery store in San Antonio) that is kind of grossed me out. Maybe if I had rendered the fat down a bit more it would have been more palatable. In the end, it was undercooked and I found it just kind of greasy and not so appetizing.

Continue discussion please....

The Costco guy is right about one thing, which is that there's a lot of waste in a packer. It's not the fat (marbling) within the point, but all the surface fat on the brisket and a band of fat that runs between the flat and the point. On a 14lb brisket, I might cut away 3 lbs of fat.

But, as with any meat that you can get "bulk" or "trimmed", you can do the math on it. At my Costco, Prime packers are $3.89 per lb, trimmed Choice flats are $5.99 per pound. A 14lb Prime packer would be $54.46. Say I lost 3lbs to trimming. I'd be left with 11lbs at the cost of $54.46. 11lbs of Choice trimmed flat would cost $65.89. So, just in cost I saved $11.43 which is over 20% savings. Additionally, my 11lbs is Prime beef (which always costs more) instead of Choice. Lastly, that 11lbs includes the point which to many people, is the tastier piece.

BTW. there's nothing wrong with cooking trimmed flats. If you watch what you are doing and pull them at the right time, there will be plenty of moisture in them.

I wish I could find a Prime brisket around here. I've had great success with choice. Select the lean part is usually dry and I have to doctor it. The point half is still good though. I'd always go with a packer over a flat bc I prefer the fatty part if the fat is rendered out enough.

My buddy who owns a new and successful BBQ joint in South Austin tells me that he buys only prime packer briskets and will never buy a choice brisket. He claims the choice packers are "less forgiving" (whatever that means) and are more difficult to cook. Does a prime packer tend to have less fat in the point?

When I first moved to Central Texas, I couldn't believe that I could buy USDA Prime packers at the super (HEB) for under $4. I have done quite a few briskets back east and had to beg a local high-end butcher to get me a Select packer for $6. After cooking a few Primes, I will never go back. The flat is nicely marbled and stays moist until done (I don't wrap). The point is like candy. I have lost my fear of overcooking and leave a brisket on until it's jiggly, flexible and probes like buttah. Your South Austin pal is on the money -- Prime is worth every penny.

I always buy packers. Half of it is picking the right one at the store. I look for a good fat cap that covers the flat well. I feel it all over and and decide what i would cut off, as if i was making it right there in the store. This, in my opinion helps me find one that will have less waste. My wife bought a brisket that was trimmed and "all natural", and it didn't come out well. I had it on over night and the point was nice and tender in the morning but the flat was still tuff. I was stumped because i didnt know where i was in the cook. The flat lookeed like it was drying out because i saw surface cracks. I decided to pull it and we got into for breakfast with some eggs. It was still tough and the taste was like bad well done stake. I've made ba bad brisket before but it still tasted like brisket. I have one in the fridge now waiting to be made. It just says "swift" on the pack but it looks like a good one.

Does anyone know where to get good briskets in Tampa and price per pound?

I did come across Master Purveyors (MP) online but you can't just walk in and buy one. You have to send an email to a contact to order them. They sound like a great place but have no idea what their prices are and if they sale to the average "backyard weekend smoker" looking to buy a single brisket. Would like to hear peoples' experience dealing with them. Below is an article I found about MP.

http://bbqbeat.com/bbq-competition-meats/http://bbqbeat.com/bbq-competition-meats/

Thanks.

Last edited:
Have you guys ever had a flat that didn't probe like butter but still ended up being overcooked?
I probed the point and there was no resistance and felt amazing but I felt the flat and it was still a bit tough. I kept the bbq going until IT was 203. I probed and flat still felt stiffer than point. I pulled it and rested it
It definitely wasn't undercooked.
It was slightly dry but flaky not chewy.
I've done the dry chewy undercooked on my first brisket a couple years ago and flat was pretty Inedible.
This one was still tasty but slightly dry where it failed the two finger test and broke off.
I don't understand because at no point in the cook did the probe slide into the flat like butter

I'm not sure I buy into the fact having the point there adds any moisture to the flat.

I agree with this.

Sometimes I separate point (cook it on bottom rack) and flat (top rack) at the beginning. Sometimes I aggressively trim out the big fat seam (sort of a floppy butterfly) between the two (video below). Either way, you get rid of a lot of the big fat. And you also expose a lot more meat for seasoning, smoke, bark. My house likes bark.

Point is forgiving and hard to overcook -- similar to a pork butt. Even if I cook in one piece, I usually separate anyway when the flat is done and keep cooking the point into burnt ends. My house likes lean not fatty.

Back