Cook brisket on hibachi type grill? (Need some out of the box ideas...)

Pinny

TVWBB Super Fan
We'll be on vacation next week and all we'll have is a massive 2'x5' hibachi catering grill. This thing is great for cooking hamburgers, steaks, and hot dogs, but it has no lid, so I don't know if cooking indirect or smoking will be possible. That said, I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for how I could make it work? I was thinking to possibly form a make-shift lid out of aluminum foil and use it to cover the coals, with the brisket offset. Would that work? Any other creative ideas? Thanks!!

http://www.bigjohngrills.com/M15B.html <- this is the grill we'll have

M15Black.jpeg

Maybe you could do some kind of direct heat approach with the brisket higher off the coals than everything else. You'd have to flip it. I'm not sure how you deal with wind.

Wheel it into a shed. Light some oak logs on one end and a put brisket on the other. Close the door to the shed, and crack one of the windows to vent the smoke. Check back in 8 hours.

Get out the meat hammer & proceed to flatten the brisket to 1/2" or so, season with S&P & then grill it?:D

Seriously, a pork loin or some tri-tip would be a better alternate choice. I don't think you could do any sort of controlled smoke on that thing without a lot of fabrication.

Rotisserie sounds great in theory, but I couldn't find one that looks like it will attach to my grill. Has anyone tried mounting a rotisserie before? Can you recommend one?

This looks like a great cover, but I need something bigger.

You could probably do a successful brisket cook on that grill IF you, the pitmaster, has had multiple successfully brisket cooks on other grills / smokers / BBQs.
As they say... It's not the pit, it's the pitmaster.

go to the beach and find a cheap kettle on craigslist!
Leave it at the house as a gift and if renting make sure to rent that same place every year!!

93RL1zAgU8mkEOSu-lTW73RImOVzDyJpXRNd-j3SlDc

I think this should work. I'll put the coals towards the back end, and the meat towards the front, and use my Maverick ET-732 to make sure the temp next to the brisket stays hot enough.

Last edited:
I'd like to try some of that brisket when it ready. Out of the box can sometimes be superb.

I would get a nice sear and then put it in a pan with some liquid. Cover with foil and cook indirect until tender. You could then put it back over direct to firm up the bark.

Back